Taters in a tub?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I vaguely recall someone telling me / saw it on telly, that you can grow potatoes quite well in something like a dustbin full of soil..

can you and any tips?

Sponsored Links
absolutley perfect, just give them plenty of water.

great.. so what do I mix in with the soil?
I've been digging out the borders and sifting the soil to get rid of roots and rocks etc so I've got very fine dry powdery soil in a barrel at the moment.. ( had a spare one, good place to store it I thought..).

will mixing in some compost work well?

where do I get the potato seeds from , never seen any in B&Q etc..
do they even grow from seeds?

is it too late to plant now for bakers in autum sometime?

Sponsored Links
just mix in a bit of compost, and as said a few holes in the bottom. Potatoes come as setts, which are basically small potatoes. Your a bit late now, but you can get some that will be ready for christmas, try the t'net!

while there in the pot you can also stick some lettuce seeds or raddishes etc as well to get the most from the pot while the growing season is in

oohh.. didn't think about radishes.. are they easy? grow from seed or do I plant a radish and let it grow into a radish plant ( which is what I think you're saying with the taters? )..

I sometimes grow them in old car tyres. When they start to grow up, I put another tyre on and bank up the soil again.

IKEA plastic carrier bags are great for this sort of thing. 40p each, cannot beat them at that price.

Though don't expect them to last more than a couple of seasons before they start to disintegrate. Anybody who says these shopping bags will last a hundred years in a tip is talking bolleaux.

Some compost would help, but potatoes will grow in any old soil.
I wouldn't go and buy compost especially for this.
Just using left over shop-bought potatoes in soil from your garden should work.

You need to add the soil to "earth up" as they grow.

It is late, but a bin or container can have some clear plastic etc put over it to keep it warm if it gets very cold.

You could then use the container to grow garlic over the winter, using the same principle of saving some cloves of shop bought garlic.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back