Tea stains on untreated wood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not really expecting anyone to be able to solve this problem - but I'm giving it a go just in case...!
I've had a plasterer in today to plaster a room for me and he has evidently spilled some of his tea on an untreated window ledge. Consequently, there are now a number of tea 'splashes' on the wood. I was intending to just varnish the ledge - but that's currently not an option !
Can anyone suggest any way I can remove the stains - or have any suggestions on how I can lessen the impact ?
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Stain all of it with tea. Otherwise send the plasterer the bill for replacements.

try sanding it or rubbing with wire wool

Thanks for the replies guys.
I have tried a little sanding - but it doesn't seem to be having much of an effect. I will continue to try... I will also try wire wool- maybe with some white spirit...?
I am kind of resigned to having to stain the whole ledge- but I really don't want to do that unless there is no other option - the tea stain is too dark. I also don't want to have to paint it, as it will not be in keeping with the rest of the room.
I was wondering about bleaching it in some way and then re-staining the whole ledge with something like victorian pine - which would be more appropriate for the look of the room - any thoughts...?
The ironic thing is the plasterer was making good the window surround - so if I was to replace the ledge (not really an option) - he would be back to square one !

Sponsored Links
dont use white spirit tea is water water and oil dont mix try sand paper could you plane it and take the surface off??

Pearly - try scraping not sanding. If you don't have a proper cabinet scraper use an industrial razor blade or a Stanley blade (just the blade, not in the handle) held at right angles to the surface (useful tip - blunt the 2 sharp corners of the Stanley blade before you begin so they don't leave lines). Push/pull the blade locally over the stain to remove very, very thin shavings. Sand to finish.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I got a little more vigorous (well quite a lot actually !) with the sanding and the stain is now barely noticeable. I'll obviously now need to sand the rest of the ledge to lessen the visible impact of the hollows I've created :D - but this is far less of an issue than the one I had this morning...!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back