TECHNOLOGY READ THIS

B

B.O.B DOLE

Why has technology slowed down so much the only thing thats progressed are t.v,s just a bit telephones gone smaller but at the end of the day i see no big jumps whats so ever and yet they say that students are passing
A levels at record levels and most of the technology is from other countrys
whats england done?

Sponsored Links
Detected and totally destroyed Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, no one can find even the smallest trace now.

oilman said:
Detected and totally destroyed Iraq's weapons of mass destruction, no one can find even the smallest trace now.
You've just illustrated Bobs point for him. The gattling gun was invented in 1862. From the looks of Sadam's arsenal, the world hasn't come very far since, has it ;) :LOL:

TexMex said:
oilman said:
You've just illustrated Bobs point for him. The gattling gun was invented in 1862. From the looks of Sadam's arsenal, the world hasn't come very far since, has it ;) :LOL:

this is tipical of your so called technology you think thant better designed meapons are a leap forward
lets face it the biggest leap was flight from that you tell me

Sponsored Links
Think of the timescales involved. Over the last 10 years, to the man in the street, all that you can see is mobiles are smaller, TVs are flatter and the internet's a bit quicker.

But, do you really think they went from the trebuchet to the Howitzer in 10 years? Or even 100 years? One of the major innovations of the 17th century (or was it the 18th?) was going from cast cannons to bored cannons. Someone came up with the idea that if you made a solid cannon and then drilled the hole down the middle it would be better than just pouring molten metal into a big mould. But cannons had been around for ages!

Innovation at the moment is generally in the details. A 3g phone looks very similar to a 2.5g phone or a 2g phone. But it is a significant development.

But in the post-war years, planes were going from funny little things with spinny windmills on them to great big roaring things with flames shooting out the back. Cars were being designed, developed, etc. I love watching those 1960s public information films about the latest stuff that was coming out. "Look at these brand new gigantic buildings" "Look at this new car with it's FUEL INJECTED ENGINE!!!" "World's biggest computer built in England" "Aren't New Towns brilliant?!", that sort of thing.

Perhaps the glamour has gone out of engineering! :LOL:

Although, today I bought something that I think is the future... it is a toaster, which has an electric motor-driven raise/lower mechanism. £20 from Tesco, brilliant :LOL: Totally pointless, and I bought it in full knowledge that it will probably last about a year, but there is something strangely amusing about a toaster that looks and sounds like a video recorder :LOL:

B.O.B DOLE said:
this is tipical of your so called technology you think thant better designed meapons are a leap forward
lets face it the biggest leap was flight from that you tell me
So since it took thousands of years to develop an aircraft that actually flew. (Archimedes invented the airscrew, there have been aircraft on the drawing board since at least the 13th century. Engines have been around since BC). At the same rate of progress, we should, by now, just about have a craft capable of clearing two football pitches. I think you'll find that our advances have been a tad quicker, of late.

Anyhow, I don't know why you're picking on me. I was agreeing with you. :eek: :LOL:

What about computers? 8 or 9 years ago I had never touched one. then I bought a 256 with a cd-rom and floppy drive (modem was extra). Now I have broadband at home and work, can copy cd's and dvd,s , which weren't invented then. can watch telly and listen to radio on pc. can download music from net and upload onto mp3 player which can hold 1000 tracks (or would be able to if I had spent a bit more), can send emails and pics to people's mobile phones. and what about diynot forum, one of the greatest advancements in technology in living memory?

petewood said:
What about computers? 8 or 9 years ago I had never touched one. then I bought a 256 with a cd-rom and floppy drive (modem was extra). Now I have broadband at home and work, can copy cd's and dvd,s , which weren't invented then. can watch telly and listen to radio on pc. can download music from net and upload onto mp3 player which can hold 1000 tracks (or would be able to if I had spent a bit more), can send emails and pics to people's mobile phones. and what about diynot forum, one of the greatest advancements in technology in living memory?

YES but cant you see you fools its all about making money the only thing whats gone forward is communication devices which make them lots of money

edited to correct quote

arms don't make money, planes don't make money? what kind of technological advance doesn't make money for someone?

AdamW said:
Think of the timescales involved. Over the last 10 years, to the man in the street, all that you can see is mobiles are smaller, TVs are flatter and the internet's a bit quicker.

But, do you really think they went from the trebuchet to the Howitzer in 10 years? Or even 100 years? One of the major innovations of the 17th century (or was it the 18th?) was going from cast cannons to bored cannons. Someone came up with the idea that if you made a solid cannon and then drilled the hole down the middle it would be better than just pouring molten metal into a big mould. But cannons had been around for ages!

Innovation at the moment is generally in the details. A 3g phone looks very similar to a 2.5g phone or a 2g phone. But it is a significant development.

But in the post-war years, planes were going from funny little things with spinny windmills on them to great big roaring things with flames shooting out the back. Cars were being designed, developed, etc. I love watching those 1960s public information films about the latest stuff that was coming out. "Look at these brand new gigantic buildings" "Look at this new car with it's FUEL INJECTED ENGINE!!!" "World's biggest computer built in England" "Aren't New Towns brilliant?!", that sort of thing.

Perhaps the glamour has gone out of engineering! :LOL:

Although, today I bought something that I think is the future... it is a toaster, which has an electric motor-driven raise/lower mechanism. £20 from Tesco, brilliant :LOL: Totally pointless, and I bought it in full knowledge that it will probably last about a year, but there is something strangely amusing about a toaster that looks and sounds like a video recorder :LOL:
Bob`s hoisted by his own Petard:cool: First cast cannon made in Sussex by Ralph Hogg

The Wonderbra is nothing new... Count Zeppelin was building similar structures 80 years earlier!

Sponsored Links
Back