Tee off main water supply for outside tap - sense check?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hoping someone can give me some guidance, or bit of a sense check, re teeing off the mains water supply pipe running up the front garden, to provide an outside tap.

The back story: Our mains supply pipe has been cut through inadvertently (not by me!!). The original pipe was black plastic (house was built in the late 1970s); I dug down to expose the pipe and there's now a new section of blue MDPE joined using decent Plasson pushfit adapter to the original supply pipe but I haven't filled in the trench yet.

I'm thinking of teeing off from the new section of MDPE pipe to provide an outside tap, so I've got myself some Plasson bits, being a 90deg tee, a 90deg elbow, a stop tap, a wallplate elbow and a brass tap with integral NRV.

My plan is to tee off at 90deg horizontally from the supply pipe using the tee, to run a section of pipe to where I want the tap, then fit a 90deg elbow to run the pipe directly upwards to the surface, put the stoptap on just above the surface, then run up to the tap (with the stoptap, tap, and pipe between in an insulated box). I have plenty of the blue MDPE pipe, a cutter etc.

(The idea of the stoptap being I can isolate the tap above ground to change the tap, or in a winter cold snap, etc.)

Does that sound OK?

The worry I had was if I've got a section of pipe tee'd off from the main supply before it enters the house, and I don't use the outside tap very often, will water just 'sit' in the tee'd off length of pipe, going stagnant or whatever, and then mix with the water supply into the house... or with it all being under mains pressure is that not even an issue?? Sorry if that sounds ridiculous or the answer is obvious!!!

Sponsored Links
a brass tap with integral NRV.

That is against the Water regs for a new tap installation unfortunately. You'll need a check valve inside the building then through the wall to the tap.

In that case I guess it might be more trouble than it's worth!!! There's quite a distance from the street to the house and I don't fancy messing with the house (which would mean drilling up and then repairing quite a bit of concrete and then running 150' of new pipe back to where it's come from!). Thanks, though, good to know at least before I'd gone ahead and done it.

Incidentally, is the logic for that because of the issue I'd wondered about, ie water sitting in a tee'd off bit of pipe and mixing with the supply to the house?

No, it's that the check valve can freeze if outside. You could have an internally connected tap with a long supply pipe so you'd be in the same position "dead leg" wise as outside, if you see what I mean

Sponsored Links
I think I do see what you mean, thanks! Well, I guess if them's the rules, them's the rules. Thanks for your help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back