teeing off main cold water supply from HE condensing boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I wish to install an outside tap in the back garden. The easiest method I think would be to take it from the mains cold water supply to the boiler which is in a airing cupboard upstairs, through the ceiling, across the loft and down the back of the house. What pipe in the loft would be best barrier or copper? This is a Potterton HE boiler with integral water cylinder. There is a combination valve which has a stop valve incorporated. At the top of this you can tee off to provide a balanced cold feed to a shower. The supply going into this is 22mm and states DHW (not sure what this means) Mains cold Inlet and cold feed to kitchen tap, it is here that I am considering teeing off from using a 22mm to 15mm reducing tee. However I am not sure if this is ok. All of the pipework is a matt mottled silver not copper. Advice greatly appreciated.

Regards

Cono

Sponsored Links
wheres your kitchen or bathroom situated in regards to your back garden.

Hi Fizz1

The kitchen is at the front of the house (terraced), the bathroom upstairs next to the airing cupboard, position of pipework would make it difficult to take a supply from there. I have no intention of touching the gas supply as am aware of the danger. I have a schematic of the boiler which show clearly the various pipes and their function.

Regards
Cono

I see nothing wrong with teeing in at this position. Personally, I prefer copper, but barrier will be easier to install - ensure you fit a double check valve, an isolation valve, and a drainoff valve on this new run.

Sponsored Links
Hi Dextrous

Many thanks for the advice. Hope you don't mind if I ask some supplementary questions. The pipework as already mentioned is matt silver and has a rough mottled surface. Would this affect the joins/seals if I use compression or pushfit coppper? The combination valve has a facility whereby you can take a balanced cold feed to a shower. To use this facility would be the easiest option as I would not have to cut into the pipe, but if I do this would I lose cold water mains pressure to the outside tap? Is it normal that all the pipework is not copper in modern systems? ie does it come as a complete boiler package as all the pipework to and around the boiler is in this mottled silver colour, in this case the boiler is a potterton HE. Finally if I decide to use barrier pipe in the loft (as you say it would be easier) can you advise on the best make/quality?

Regards

Cono

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back