Telegraph poles and what to do

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 30 year old, 15ft telegraph pole on my land supplying just my house. The pole has a 'D' on it meaning it's dangerous to climb. The pole leans quite a bit (+10 degrees) and I can wobble it if I push it. There are no roads or any other public/private land nearby.

I have PP for a new build and the proposed garage will be higher than the cable height from the pole.

I don't want BT to move the pole and pay £3500 for the pleasure - not when I'd say the max should be £750 (labour + materials)

Someone suggested making a bracket (like a radio bracket or similar) to bolt to the gable on the new garage to lift the cable. There was also a suggestion to plant a new pole a few meters to the side and re-attach the cable.

I've heard that BT/Openreach haven't a clue to the poles that are out there and they're years maybe decades behind cataloguing them. A farmer I know had a BT 'pole checker' round to check some poles on his land to be told they'd been removed 15 years ago.

I thought I'd read somewhere that BT were responsible to move the pole if it is in the way of proposed outbuilding or extensions. Has anyone else heard this? Would this still be the case for the new build? (Even when I own both house and plot)

Any ideas how to overcome the problem?

Sponsored Links
What would happen if it fell over? ;)

It would be up to BT to replace, maybe a few metres away?

Andy

If I make the call to BT then they may charge to get an engineer out.

I'm aware of their dirty tricks.

If the pole 'fell' then I'd assume they'd want to know why - and see the building work 3m away and then work it out.

Sponsored Links

If the pole 'fell' then I'd assume they'd want to know why - and see the building work 3m away and then work it out.

If it wobbles then its dangerous, what happens if there is a high wind and it blows over.

If it wobbles then its dangerous, what happens if there is a high wind and it blows over.

Exactly. I'd get on to BT and make a big thing of the safety risk and demand to know when they are coming to put it right. When the engineer comes out then you can tell him you want it moved.

As an aside, a pole-checker arrived at my door a few weeks ago and was up our hill, digging around the pole to check it. I guess they are checking them but could see why they might be years behind schedule.

Is there scope for putting the cable underground ?
If so, then if you dig the trench, they may be amendable to dropping a cable in it - it has to be to their advantage long term to do away with the maintenance of an overhead span or 3.

I suspect the problem is finding the right person to speak to - but I'm sure if you could find him, then something could be worked out.

Of course, if you also put a cable in to the new property while you're at it ...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back