telemec contactor question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've come across a c strange telemech contactor with a combined overload. The contactor part has A1 and A2 which are obviously the coil connection, but in between there are two more connection E1 and E2. These are also connected to a supply.

I've not been able to check what does what yet apart from removing A1 de-energises the coil as you would expect. Any idea what E1 and E2 do?

Sponsored Links
Some larger contactors have the facility to connect directly to a PLC on the ELV side to allow the PLC to control it directly, wonder if it is that.

I've yet to come across heater coils, never heard of them.
What advantage would they have over an overload unit?

Sponsored Links
I have come across overload units where the heaters are interchangeable, think they were made by MTE.

Yep, the current flowing through the coil creates heat. This operates a bi-metalic strip. If it exceeds the thermal set point then the unit trips. You have one heater per phase in the ones I have seen.
If a thermal device is not appropriate then you can consider using electronic overloads.
I still think the E1 and E2 are to do with ELV inputs tho :LOL:

Yes but you lose the versatility.

In what way are they more versatile than a thermal overload if they both work by heat?

what size are heater coils? Are they din rail mountable or do they fit across the contactors terminals?

Yep, the current flowing through the coil creates heat. This operates a bi-metalic strip. If it exceeds the thermal set point then the unit trips.

Is that not how thermal overloads work also?

Unless your reply was a reply for my question "Doesn't a thermal overload work in the same way, heat?"?

Yep, that is basically what the heaters are for.
If you want to get away from the thermal overloads for repeat stop starts then electronic units may be better.

As for E1 and E2, they can be supplied by the special modules on page 4 here: clicky, tho the ones I think I have seen were integrated, possibly made by AB.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back