DNO / TN-S Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm having a mate (NIC registered) help me replace my C/U in a couple of weeks and I need to get the DNO to de-energise my supply as I don't have an isolator on my meter tails.

Couple of questions:

Do they charge for de-energisation?
Will they charge to fit an isolator?
Can my spark fit an isolator to my tails with DNO's permission? I have an MEM one as used by many DNO's I believe, I've seen a fair few of them around. And I'm under the impression anything my side of the meter is mine anyway.

The supply is TN-S and the main earth conductor is on a clamp, rather than welded/soldered on. I know this is 'frowned upon' however the Zs from a spur off the upstairs socket is 0.35 ohms, I haven't checked R1+R2 for that circuit yet or the actual Ze but it's obviously going to be less than 0.35 which puts it well within spec for TN-C-S.

Is it worth seeing if the DNO will make a proper earth connection whilst they're out? I could neglect to tell them my Ze is within spec and just mention the poor connection

DNO is East Midlands (or more correctly WPD), Supplier is British Gas (who weren't interested at all in arranging de-energisation for me)

Sponsored Links
Most DNO's will charge for an isolator.

Most DNO's will isolate and energise for free. Often preferring to fit an isolator at the same time as it means they don't have to come back to re-energise.

It sounds like you have TN-S and not TN-C-S

A clamp on the cable is not ideal, but is the property of the DNO and is upto them how they which to maintain it.

Does your NIC registered spark not have a clue?

Every DNO is different and the best thing to do is contact them rather than guessing through a forum, although in saying that, WPD have just taken over East Mids, so guess there may be a differing of the protocols and some grey areas ;)

Yes clearly I meant TN-S, sorry. It was super late. Post edited now.

No he's pretty good he just asked me to arrange de-energisation.

Yea I will just give them a ring today I think

Central networks (while they noe answer the phone as WPD everything else seems much as it was) seem to fit isolators upon request, and generally prefer to provide a PME terminal at the price of £75 rather than maintain a TNS earth

Sponsored Links
if they will fit me a PME and isolator for £75 I am happy with that. Bargain tat is. Will give them a call later.

Just need to find my MPAN number, not sure it's actually on the meter for some reason :(

You should find the MPAN code number on your electricity bill, it's often situated in a rectangular box on your bill. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

haha yea, gotta find one of those though! It's been a couple of months since the last one

Yea I found that site, clicked on the link for WPD and it does't work. I didn't trust the information beyond that. Also the WPD logo is pretty much over where I live, so if I didn't already know it was WPD/East Midlands I'd still be unsure

DNO sent me back to the supplier

£43.20 for the DP isolator. Not too bad I guess. Saves the hassle of pulling the fuse and returning to put it in again

some charge for resealing where they did not used too either.
Last time I went thru British Gas and they asked why it needed resealing "because the seals are going to need cutting to do a rewire" I replied .
Charge then to reseal £17 , I asked how much to fit an isolator £17 was the answer too so that is what I went for - Bargain.
Previously I had always arranged a reseal and then once booked in I told I would now cut the seals , crafty me, but they got wise to it!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back