DNO Isolators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody have trouble (sparks or otherwise) getting their DNO to fit isolators?

We find it impossible in South Manchester. United Utilities say that they categorically do not fit them. They only offer a de/re-energisation service.

I put my foot down today after being passed from pillar to post yet again. I told them they have to pass on my request for an iso switch to the meter owners & that the meter owners are legally obliged to fit a switch for the customer. That did the trick! But where do customers stand? Are they entitled to an isolation switch? Or does it vary from DNO to DNO?

Your thoughts will be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I have never had any problems with WPD fitting isolators. If the customer requests one through their electricity supplier they might get a better response, but I find with WPD it's better to go straight to them.

Were you just blowing smoke when you said about the meter owners being legally obliged to fit an isolator or is that true?

Isn't it just easier in your case to request the supply be de-energised and then when they turn up you ask the DNO guy to install the tails to the isolator you have just fitted and get it re-energised there and then?

Adam_151 said:
Tried just removing fuses yourself? do they care?

We are not generally authorised to do this by our bosses.

I did it on a TT supply in Staffs once because the RCD had failed. I had permission from my manager to do this but when I rang the MEB to get them to reseal, they threatened prosecution if I did it again... We have to be 100% above board and not touch the supply fuse, unless in an emergency.

Davy: Yes, sometimes it's easier! And I was advised to say that legal bit by someone in our offices: whether it's true or not I don't know, but it worked.

I will contact the ENA in the morning & ask what the score is. It's ridiculous at the moment, like a wild telephonic goose chase...

Sponsored Links
Why ring them to reseal? There are a lot of mainfuses out there with no seals on them. If it made you feel better, invest in some seals and a crimp. ;) Or a better-than-nothing bag of tiewraps. :LOL:

I cannot do this! We are not able to. Tampering with a DNO seal would see us on a charge of gross misconduct. Then our body parts would be thrown to the DNO's.....

This is my first post after joining your site so hello everyone.

I work for well known electricity supplier (formally known as MANWEB) fitting meters, isolators etc.

I know that if you phone us up for an Isolator on an existing supply it's free (atleast in the Manweb area), some other suppliers do charge I've heard as much as £50 but I think most do it for free.

All jobs that we call new supplies that WE DO come with an isolator fitted as standard, and if we change a standard domestic single rate meter to an off peak type (eg Economy7) we are told to fit a 3pole isolator so the Off peak load can be connected without damage to our seals.

Saying that I come across lots of jobs where the spark has cut the seals to pull the main fuse and crack on with his/her job (not a problem I thought).

Now I was going to say we don't mind that where there's no isolator the seals being broken to fit a new consumer unit etc, as long as you phone up for a reseal afterwards (just so it makes it a bit harder for kids to pull the fuse and poke fingers in etc).
But after reading the post where MEB said about legal action I'm now not so sure.

Don't know how useful my post was but hope I helped a little.

WPD charge £32 for fitting a DP isolator or £43 for 4-pole isolators. Unbelievably they charge £26 per visit for de/re-energising... Then again they probably want people to take the isolator route so they don't need to make extra trips and waste their workers time.

Roo, if it's possible would you be kind enough to find out where electricians stand regarding fuse pulling / seal breaking etc. Oh, welcome to the forum by the way, it'll be nice to hear stories and maybe even see some pictures from the 'other side'.

Fuse pulling officially a BIG NO NO unless you work for and are authorised to do so by the supplier! (eg Meter readers can't pull fuses)
Which involved me going on a course believe it or not.

They could probably try and say you were interfering with the metering equipment therefore trying to alter the reading or something similar.

I was once asked by a spark in Crewe if the rumours where true of a course manweb offered in which we gave you a set of sealing pliers and seals and showed you how to seal your own cutout back up.

Before someone ask's NO IT'S NOT TRUE. :LOL:

But if I turn up to a job with no seals on the meter or cutout, and no feed from a Lamp post outside or fiddle on the meter, (':eek:') but a nice new shiny CU and 25mm tails, I do my bit and seal it back up again.
As I would think does everybody else I work with.

I've even thinking about it had jobs in the past where all I had to do was reseal the meter due to work being done, so why MEB said that I don't know.

My personal opinion is if you don't have to pull the fuse, and you can wait for an isolator to be fitted and it's free, get an isolator you can't get into trouble that way.

I don't know how other suppliers work but they must all surely fit isolators if requested?

WPD always give the company line of it being an offence and dangerous for others to do it......but the word on the ground is different.

We always pull the fuse, do the work, and refit the fuse. We don't ever put tails into the meter - We would leave new tails henleyed to old ready for WPD to fit.

We always fax them a connection cert request even if we do not require the tails putting in. They then simply turn up, take a look and seal. This is the method they prefer. They are honest and have said if sparks where to go by the books and request de-energising of supply, they would have to double there workforce - so are glad all the sparks in our area do it this way.

Crafty said:
Whats a fax? :cool: :LOL:

fox1311019sm.jpg

;)

Has thit fax jast cripped an the poth?

BTW, I rang the top man at the ENA today, inbetween presentations (it's a hard life!) and they said each area makes its own mind up about isolators and their is no general or national guidelines.

UU do not fit isolators (unless you're a pushy git like me!) at all, not even for a fee. They will come out & de/re-energise, but not fit switches....STRANGE.

See http://www.energynetworks.org/spring/indexpages/enaindex_ndate.asp

Would of thought it was a bit of wasted man power de energising just to reenergize, when one trip and an isolator later it was all done with? :confused:

And when you say "De energise" do you mean they leave the supply off until they come back a few days later?

Generally, you book a de/re-energisation* giving about 10 days notice (for WPD anyway) then the DNO guys turn up, take out the fuse and reseal, then come back to put the fuse back in and reseal again...

*Are they even words? :confused: If not they are now :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back