New meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
DNO want to replace my very old meter with a new one.

Before I make an appointment wiht them, I wondered if there was any suggestions on other work to request they do at the same time. Only thing I can think of is fitting an isolator switch or will they do this as standard?

Any thing else worth getting them to sort while they are doing the meter?

Sponsored Links
Get them to do what ever you can. Certainly ask for an Isolator between theres and yours, makes life alot easier. Get them to check your Earth reading also, you could even ask if they would fit a new CU (nudge wink cash in hand).

Most these fellas are sub contracting so will often do a few little bits on top if they are not to pushed.

Ask for PME if you haven't already got it. You will do better asking officially. A person trained to replace meters probably works for a meter maintenance company and has no more idea how to do other electrical work than your milkman.

oharaf said:
Get them to do what ever you can. Certainly ask for an Isolator between theres and yours, makes life alot easier. Get them to check your Earth reading also, you could even ask if they would fit a new CU (nudge wink cash in hand).

Most these fellas are sub contracting so will often do a few little bits on top if they are not to pushed.

I fit meters.

I work for the DNO.

I'm not a spark.

Fit a new CU PMSL :LOL:

Even if I had the knowledge and testers to test it afterwards... How much time do you think we have to do each job? :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm guessing the guy fitting will be stretched for time. Just wondered if the isolator would be part of the process, but I guess not. I would like to get one done for future benefits. But from what Roo says it is likely to be a quick rip out and replace job. Anything else would need to be requested in advance. but not sure how successful I'll be as it is the meter reading company who want to make the change. (Remote Readings?).

Guess I can only ask. Mind you I already have an appointment. The letter says they'll be around between July and October. Hope I'm in.........

Ask for PME

Ask for an Isolator.

Ask by letter not phone. If it ends up on the desk of someone who can't deal with it, they will have to pass it on, and there is a fair chance it will end up on the desk of an engineer who can help. letters are less easily fobbed-off than phone calls.

If they say they won't provide an isolator, you could get one yourself, and some 25mm supply-side tails, and fix it in place beforehand, then asking the fitter to take the old tails out of the meter, and put your new tails in. then you can fix the old tails to the load side of the isolator later (with it switched off ;) )

I happen to like the MEM 100A DP switch for this, as they make an insulated enclosure where you can open a little hatch to get at the load-side terminals without exposing the supply side. It is not at all expensive. There may be a more modern one available now.

Thanks for the advice John. Definitely need the isolator. There is a warren of CU's for various rooms, shower etc. all added after the original 4 way cu. It would make it easier to tidy up at some point without having to mess about pulling the main fuse.

here we are

100A_DP.jpg

POL_0178.jpg

Very nice john.
I have one just like that next to my meter ;)

Twitchy with an appointment time like that it will be a fella cold calling trying to get his jobs in and will possibly have more time than us appointment lads.

If you want a specific appointment I'd call your supplier quoting the ref on the letter (if there is one) and while on the phone arrange for an Isolator.

That way an appointment lad would turn up at a time suited for you with 2 jobs, one to change the meter and the other to fit an isolator.

Fella gets 2 jobs at same address you get an isolator.

Everyones happy :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back