Earthing + Load Side Isolator/ DNO's or REC's responsibility

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post in the forum. I'm not an electrician. Just trying to establish some facts so I can go about making the right inquiries to the right people/company.

1 - Earthing: I have MET connected to the armoured sheath of the supply cable via some multi strand metal wire with a warning label attached to it. As I understand from several threads in the forum, this is not the ideal earthing method. Please could anyone advise what is the preferred way + who is responsible for making this upgrade? DNO tells me that PME is available, but they won't do the upgrade & diverted me back to REC.

2 - Load side Isolator: I'm considering having one fitted to make future electrical installations (rewiring etc) less inconvenient, without having the supply de-energised by DNO/REC. Before anyone asks, NO I'm not doing a DIY rewiring. Can anyone advise if DNO or REC is responsible for fitting an isolator? Or is it a matter of an added value service that they may choose to give?
I'd also appreciate comments on whether having an isolator is a good idea or that there are certain setbacks that I am unaware of?

BTW; I spent many hours on the phone trying only to establish who the DNO for the area I live in is. I found REC's and DNO's most unhelpful. Hence I'm sending this mssg to the forum for some impartial expert opinion.

Sorry for the long message.

Sponsored Links
1 - Earthing: I have MET connected to the armoured sheath of the supply cable via some multi strand metal wire with a warning label attached to it. As I understand from several threads in the forum, this is not the ideal earthing method. Please could anyone advise what is the preferred way + who is responsible for making this upgrade? DNO tells me that PME is available, but they won't do the upgrade & diverted me back to REC.
1: you have TNS. TT is the least prefered. where you have read TNS is not ideal, i have no idea
2: DNO and REC are the same people...

2 - Load side Isolator: I'm considering having one fitted to make future electrical installations (rewiring etc) less inconvenient, without having the supply de-energised by DNO/REC. Before anyone asks, NO I'm not doing a DIY rewiring. Can anyone advise if DNO or REC is responsible for fitting an isolator? Or is it a matter of an added value service that they may choose to give?
I'd also appreciate comments on whether having an isolator is a good idea or that there are certain setbacks that I am unaware of?
DNO are responsible upto the meter. nothin after. nowm some do fit isolators FOC, and some charge
BTW; I spent many hours on the phone trying only to establish who the DNO for the area I live in is. I found REC's and DNO's most unhelpful. Hence I'm sending this mssg to the forum for some impartial expert opinion.
someone once had a link to all the DNO's. ill have a look later

"2: DNO and REC are the same people... "

Challenge!

I used to work for a REC, then for a PES and a DNO, and a Generator, and did Transmission and Contracting and Energy Trading (but not a Meter Operator). All as different businesses. Funny thing was I hadn't moved and worked for the same company. But no one company is obliged to do all these things.

You can always write to your electricity supplier (who sends you the bill). You are their customer, and they are responsibl for liaising with the other companies (and knowing who they are). In my experience a letter is slow, but more reliable. Most Call centre agents don't do letters as additional skills are required.

Andy / JohnD
Thank you for the replies. I will take your advice and write to the Electricity supplier & let them do the investigating.

I understand TNS (as described) is acceptable earthing (in any case better than TT) so I won't pursue for an upgrade. Does anyone think it's necessary for this to be upgraded?

Comments on whether to fit an Isolator or not would also be welcome.
joepublic

Sponsored Links
JohnD said:
Most Call centre agents don't do letters as additional skills are required.

"Call Centre Agents are expected to be able to read or write, but not necessarily both"

And I think a 100A DP isolator is a good thing, I've got one. You ought to find someone will fit one, for a fee.

joepubli said:

I'm note sure where in the UK you live but if your in the EDF energy region they have set up a hot line for NIC contractors. You will need to go via an NIC contractor as they do ask for a reg number. But the service is top rate, no call centre just good old fashioned engineer to engineer conversation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back