Telephone and Network Points - Metal or Plastic back boxes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to install a telephone extension and LAN network module (separate boxes). These will be sunk into the wall, but should I use the standard metal back boxes or plastic ones to reduce any chance of interference? Would be interested in peoples thoughts.

I have copied this post in the telephone forum too.

Sponsored Links
The construction of the back box won't make any significant difference to the signal quality so use which ever is easiest.

Thanks for that, had bought standard metal boxes as it is a brick wall they are being installed in, just had a scared thought about interference! Didnt want to install them and then have problems later. Metal boxes it is.

Many thanks

You could run 2 cables to each single backbox and use a single front plate which will take 2 modules one for data and one for telephone or use 2 data sockets and just fit balluins where telephones are required.

Sponsored Links
should I use the standard metal back boxes or plastic ones to reduce any chance of interference?
How would plastic ones reduce interference?

What sort of interference? Received or transmitted?

Remember the cable is twisted pair....

Metal or plastic boxes make no difference, Ban was right.
Normally you use plastic boxes for surface mount (because they look nicer), and metal boxes where they will be hidden inside a wall, as they tend to be cheaper to buy too.

Flush metal boxes do the job safely at a keen price.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Boxes_Flush/index.html

Plastic Surface Boxes cost a bit more.

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Main_Index/Boxes_and_Enclosures_Index/Boxes_Mk_Surface/index.html

The only interference that should be a concern is, electro magnetic, this could happen if your data cables are routed or run with mains voltage power cables. The back boxes alone will not cause a problem.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back