Telephone extension thingy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
never done anything with phones before so pls keep me on straight and narrow :D

house has main cable from BT telegraph pole coming down outside front door. Comes through and into the BT box. This is only phone point in house. Need to put another "socket" in living room. Do i just simply feed off this BT box like you would do off back of normal socket and run to new?? This also needs to run outside so is there special cable that needs using?

Any advice/tips, tricks would be great :D

Sponsored Links
Hi,
I've fitted 4 extension sockets, got them from screwfix, they come with the instructions, and you can also get the cable from there also.
Regarding outside cable, I've just drilled a hole through the wood and used the same cable, although I did go through the top of the door frame away from little pulling fingers.
If you have the main socket, ie 2 screws pull off front under neath a block of 2 x 3 ( use line 2 - 5 & 3 for the bell)
Hope this helps

Someone called 'Workington' replied :eek:
I'm from Workington :)

Anyway, in answer to the question...
Its only 'legal' to wire into the front plate of a Linebox (NTE5). They are the large sockets that sort of split in two when you take the two tiny screws out of the front.
You would terminate your 3 wires on terminals 2, 5 & 3 & then match the same colours up at the other end.
We use tough external cable (Drop Wire) outside. That's the stuff that comes from the pole into your house, but we are allowed to use internal cable outside as long as its black. Something about sunlight damaging white cable (don't know the science behind that).
Dead easy to do. The hardest part is always running the cable so it looks neat, or better still unseen ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes I should have clariffied that you are only allowed to take your extension from the front plate which unscrews from the master box.
Thank you the gentleman from Workington, where I was born, but moved to the West Midlands when the Mines Closed (No 10 Lowca)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back