Help with telephone socket extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I hope someone can help. I have just moved into a house where there is just one BT telephone socket in the entrance hall. In another room there is a loose telephone socket (ie not wall-mounted) with a wire running around the room, under the stairs etc ending up at the BT socket in the hall where it clearly must have plugged into something... BUT the end of the cable isn't a standard phone connector that would fit into the BT phone socket, instead it's a smaller (ie ADSL or Ethernet) size. I can't figure out what I can plug it into - all the telephone socket extension cables I can find online have a normal phone connector at the end which makes sense...

The previous occupants definitely used this 2nd socket but I can't figure out how to connect it to anything... does anyone know what a phone socket with this type of connector could connect to, please? Thank you so much.

Sponsored Links
(A face plate with an ADSL socket and possibly a BT socket may have been fitted as the master face plate. These are available in a filtered form for internet use)

Cut off the extension small plug, open the existing master socket and connect the extension cable directly into the master socket. Connect 2/5 only.
This will give a master socket and extension socket suitable for telephone use.
If ADSL service is required, the extension cable may need upgrading and filters will be required.

Thank you very much - what you say makes perfect sense, I'll give it a try.

They had it plugged into a microfilter which they have taken with them.

Sponsored Links
I tried that though and the extension didn't work when I plugged it into a microfilter.

I would expect it should though so there may be a fault with your microfilter or a break in the cable that goes under the stairs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back