Telephone extension

Hey..plugwash...

I was just looking at the two connector blocks outside with two different lines and thought it seemed logical. Basically splitting the one phone line off in two different directions. If thats the case would the socket in the study also need to be a master socket as well as the one in the lounge...theres one there already of course so that would be handy

Sponsored Links
If you don't have broadband it does indeed need to be a master socket or the phone on it won't ring.

If you do have broadband then it doesn't matter whether it is a master or extention socket as the ring signal is generated in the filter.

You shouldnt put 2 masters on the same line.
If you have an exisiting master in the lounge then you need a slave for the conservatory
As previous you need to connect 2 and 5 for the line and 3 for the ring. If you put 2 master you will have issues as there will be too much capacitace on the line

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys...I can see there would be an issue with two masters. Shame is the business line is properly cabled externally round the back of the house and upstairs to the first floor "study"...into a master socket of course. The home line goes straight through the wall into the lounge and its master socket. Getting a cable through the wall by extending the old business line cable to the master socket and plugging it in as an extension is not straight forward because of odd walls etc. Thats why I was hoping to "piggy back" on the home line in some way. I'll have a check on the wiring route through the wall...

I could always go wireless and put the router in the lounge out of sight I suppose but it seems a shame to waste the cable installation

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back