Telephone extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am having problems with my wireless internet connection strength so I am wanting to put a telephone extension on the outside of the house through to my conservatory where my PC is stationed. I plan to move the wireless router in to this area and hard wire connect my PC to the router. I have bought some cable and plug in box which I have fit in to the conservatory. The telephone cable wires were straight forward to connect in the plug in wall box as everthing was colour coded but at the other end where I want to push the telephone cable through an existing supply hole in the sitting room and piggy back onto the connected wires in the supply telephone box I have come across a problem as the cables that are in place are not the same colours as the cable I have just bought and the cables are connected in ports 1,2,3 & 5 whereas I have read they should be in ports 2,3,4 & 5.
The cable colours to ports are as follows
1-Green
2-Blue
3-Black
4-Empty
5-Orange
6-Empty
Any help appreciated

Thanks
[/img][/code]

Sponsored Links
if its a master socket you have only needs 2 & 5

If not, use 2 5 & 3

So if I match up the colours/numbers that I have wired into the box in the consrevatory with the same numbers in the master box then I only have to wire in numbers 2 & 5.What happens to the other two wires ?

Although 4 is sometimes used. I can't remember the circumstances, though. :oops:

Sponsored Links
damed if i know what 4 is fo either.

mooney3, that is not what i said (although i admit i should have said master socke you are installing :oops: )

this dont make sense if you want to move your wirless connection near your pc there are easier things to do,

Firslty your router should have an RJ45 socket, why not just run a cat5 lead from there to your conservatory and dont use the wirless , then you get full 100mbs to the router. Also pin 4 is not required on your sockets.

Also if you do want to add equipment put a repeater in , it must be the same make as your orginal router, and it will boost your signal maybe just outside your conservatory.

i hate wireless

it does not matter what colour you use as long as the same colour is used in the extension terminations and the master socket terminations,you only need 2,5 and 3 terminals .......,termination 1,4 and 6 are not used in the home as they are only for some swicthboard extensions.......just curious if it is one of those cheap nasty extesion kits the dsl signal will fall alot from the main socket to the extesion kit,invest in some cat5 .

Old internal BT wiring is Orange/Blue and Green/Black. Orange Blue is the first pair to use and is usually the pair that comes from the block terminal which houses the dropwire from outside.

Modern internal cable is

Blue/White White/Blue
Orange/White White Orange
Green/White White/Green

If this is used from the block terminal then it is usually Blue/White in 2 White Blue in 5 and Orange White in 3 for the bell. U dont need the bell wire however if you have a microfilter as it has a capacitor already in it, or a BT Line Jack Unit with a built in capacitor. These need to be snipped out to be used as an extension socket as opposed to a main NTP.

Slot 4 is for PBX systems

i believe they call them hoops.

so its white with blue hoops or blue with white hoops

who cares, its not the orange ones

Does it matter where the DSL/phone filter is plugged in ?

Does it have to on the NTE or can it be in the extension socket ?

all phones must be connected via filters. The dsl modem must be connected directly to the line (which is what the sockets marked as DSL on filters do)

how you decide to arrange that from a wiring point of view and whether you connect all phones via one filter or use multiple filters is up to you. Having only one filter and no branches in the unfiltered signal can improve matters in marginal line conditions. Also don't connect ringer wires in the unfiltered part of the wiring they serve no usefull purpose and can cause problems when conditions are marginal.

Left it for a while but now I'm about to start. Looking at the external box could I just move/piggy back the separate business line onto the domestic line connections outside...? Would that "turn" the business line socket in my study into an extension of my domestic number ? Or does it have to be a slave off the internal sockets as we discussed above ?

topgazza said:
Left it for a while but now I'm about to start. Looking at the external box could I just move/piggy back the separate business line onto the domestic line connections outside...? Would that "turn" the business line socket in my study into an extension of my domestic number ? Or does it have to be a slave off the internal sockets as we discussed above ?
That would work fine though since it is messing with BTs gear you shouldn't really do it (most people would anyway though, BT tend not to bother too much about such things in practice).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back