Telephone junction box HELP NEEDED

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,

I accidentally cut the telephone cable today as the old lady wanted an old unused bell box removed from inside the cupboard.

I've bought a junction box (in the picture).

I need help understanding how to wire this up correctly.

For some reason the internet is working, but the telephones are not

IMG_20150807_173050.jpg

Sponsored Links
The incoming telephone pair from the exchange will almost certainly be the Orange and Blue.

The pair carrying the phone service to the phones will most probably be the Orange with White and White with Orange

So join the White with Orange to the Blue from the exchange.

You already have Orange with White connected to Orange from the exchange and as Broadband ( ADSL ) can work with just one wire.

EDIT, the pair to the telephone could be the Blue with White and White with Blue. If connecting the Orange / White pair to Orange and Blue doesn't get the phones working try connect the Blue / White pair to the Orange and Blue instead of the Orange / White pair.

Last edited:
The incoming telephone pair from the exchange will almost certainly be the Orange and Blue.

The pair carrying the phone service to the phones will most probably be the Orange with White and White with Orange

So join the White with Orange to the Blue from the exchange.

You already have Orange with White connected to Orange from the exchange and as Broadband ( ADSL ) can work with just one wire.

EDIT, the pair to the telephone could be the Blue with White and White with Blue. If connecting the Orange / White pair to Orange and Blue doesn't get the phones working try connect the Blue / White pair to the Orange and Blue instead of the Orange / White pair.

Turned out the ADSL is operting from one cable, and so is the telephone line, exactly as you said.

What are the other cables used for then ?

If I upgraded the telephone cable to cat 5, would everything work faster ?

Sponsored Links
Most drop wire ( the cable that brings the phone line to a house ) is two pair ( four wires ) so that a second phone line can be connected without having to run in another cable.

The cable to the house ( in your case ) is four pair. Mostly it is 2 pair or three pair. Original BT compatible plug in phone used three wires, two for speech dialling etc and the third was the bell wire connected to one of the other two wires by a capacitor which allows only the AC ringing current to get to the bell. Most modern phones have that capacitor inside them so do not need the third wire.

Yes Billy, as I said the broadband was operating on one cable and the telephone on another.

I re-configured the wires within the junction box and re-routed everything neatly minus the old bellbox.

I've since hard wired two cat 5 sockets for the broadband as cables were running along the floor for many years.

I have a call blocker installed which is causing some interference on the line though, a crackling waterfall sort of noise, which only disappears when the device is removed, but that's a seperate issue.

Do you want an updated photo of the junction box ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back