Telephone junction box

Well, I have an IDC tool for connecting the new cable into the master socket, and the other end is just a choc-block inside a little bakelite box. I would rather a BT engineer came and did it, just in case -- how much would it cost me?

Sponsored Links
If you mean that the nasty bit you were originally complaining about hanging in mid air is a choc block inside a balerlite enclosure, then that is very probably original BT extension work.

Jimbo,is the 'gubbins' you talk about the original position of the master socket,if so why not put the Master socket[NTE5] back there and then run an extension from it to wherever you want.Strictly speaking you should not tamper with anything before the master socket,it is usually fed with a 2 pair cable entering your house,with black,green,orange and white wires.Again usually the dial tone comes in on the orange/white pair.Black and green pair not connected at either end but check before you cut anything off.This is not rocket science by any means .Calling BT out to put a connection box back would cost you.

It may well be; the current (messy) installation was in place when we bought the house. I could put the master socket back there, but as that would still mean me messin' with BT's cable there's not much benefit! Plus I've now run a permanent extension from the master socket up to the bedroom via some conduit, which would be very awkward to relocate!

The cable that enters the house is a single pair, not two pairs. I'm confident in my ability to tidy the installation up, I was just curious about what would happen if, for example, I let the wires touch each other by mistake!

Sponsored Links
If the cable that enters the house is two pair then it is old wiring,you would not get a shock of this .You would get a small jolt if somebody was ringing you up whilst you had a hold of the bare wires.I can't see the problem as to putting the socket back to it's original position and then running your own extensions from it.If the wires touch that would not cause any problems it is not like mains wiring.

The wiring is protected by electronic current limiting circuitry, if you short it, it will shut down until the short is removed.

ALL houses and lines only recieve a single pair, this is the line, or 'local loop'. After the master socket, you need at least 1 pair, and a ringer conductor.

As for shocks, the line when on hook is DC. When ringing, the line runs in AC. AC is more likely to felt than the DC.

moving the master socket or nte should be straight forward, there should only be two conductors coming into the house which can be terminated either way round onto the screw terminals on your nte. problems begin when you have other extensions from the junction box or nte. let me know if i can help further i'm a bt engineer, as far as i'm aware you would be charged minimum £65 for calling bt out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back