"Telephone" switch box, ideas please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
"Telephone" ( switch )? box, as it says.

I'm looking for the above. I want to switch between the use of 2 different phones into one Master socket.

Not when in use of course , but to keep a long story short, to suit my mood. ;)

ps, a link would be good, Ta.

Sponsored Links
What exactly do you mean by "switching" between the two different phones? Obviously you could just plug both phones into the jack with a double adapter and use whichever one you want, but I'm assuming that's not what you have in mind.

Do you want some sort of manual changeover switch so that only one phone can ever be in use at a time? Some sort of privacy arrangement so that when one phone is in use the other is automatically disconnected?

Ok, it's to save the messing about of climbing into a cupboard to change over the leads manually.

System > phone connected to answer phone, answer phone connected to line.

On occasions it is necessary to 'dump' the answer phone and only have the phone connected.

All the cables from phone and answer phone go directly through the wall into a cupboard for connection and 're routing' to each other and the BT.

It would be possible to make up what I need using a DPDT, but I'd rather use something preparatory.

Sponsored Links
It would be possible to make up what I need using a DPDT, but I'd rather use something preparatory.

You could keep a look out on eBay etc. for a PO/BT Switch 2A, which is what used to be used for various switching applications for ringers and so on, so it's "genuine" telephone equipment, and just a DPDT switch in a surface-mount box:

f3cnef.jpg

Came in both gold & silver versions.

Seem to recall in my old office we had a switch to bypass the answer phone.
It looked like a architrave switch. Green spot for on red for off.

Cannot see how your not going to have to wire up something.

An idea, does the answer phone have a remote switch facility?
Dial into it with your mobile and activate it when needed and de-activate when not.

Alarm, that's it above.

Thanks Paul_C, I knew there was something, had just forgotten what.

And lo & behold I've got one in the garage, new, still wrapped up, don't ask, I've had it since I was a boy, yes, it's that old.

I can sort it out now and it'll fit perfectly where I have in mind.

Cheers.

Just looked back at this, and as I posted Paul_C beat me so to speak.

Once again the Security and Phone section triumphs :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back