Telephone Voice crackling and busy tone when dialling in

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

On sunday our land phone line was showing busy when you tried to dial in. When we picked it up we got just crackling and noises, no phone signal. The internet was up and down like a yo yo.
We had an old type master socket and I connected the extensions the old people in to the back over the top of the old wires. I attached blue/white into 2 and white/blue into 5 and orange/white into 3. This was working for about 6 months.
I phoned BT and they first said there was a fault in our house. when i said it couldn't be my house they then found a problem on their network. They said they had to replace a battery or something. They said the line is now testing fine and the problem is still in our house. Rather than get a bill for a call out I pulled the 3 extension cables off the back of the master socket. The phones were working fine again and the internet was also back up and running. I thought possibly its the socket but also bt will charge if they come in cabled as it is.
I bought an NTE5 socket from ebay. I wired the orange/white cable and orange cable into the master screw terminals and everything works fine in the test socket. I plugged the extension cables in again same cables into the ports 2,3 & 5 then i get the same problem. I left the cables plugged in and then removed the cables from the two extension sockets so effectively the cables in the nte5 socket went knowhere. I haven't a clue what could be wrong if anyone out there could help me trying to solve this problem, was it caused by something with BT or is it something gone wrong in my house.

Many thanks for your help in advance.

Paul.

Sponsored Links
1. Remove all the internal wiring from the nte5 front plate.
2. reconnect it a bit at a time and test after each.

I'd guess that you've either got a damp cable or, more likely, a damp socket - do you have a dog or cat (they sometimes develop a penchant for ****ing on sockets.)

If you call bt out you WILL be charged to fix this problem as the wiring belongs to you ...........going rate is about £120 to call out the about £90 per hour........take previous advice

1. Remove all the internal wiring from the nte5 front plate.
2. reconnect it a bit at a time and test after each.

I'd guess that you've either got a damp cable or, more likely, a damp socket - do you have a dog or cat (they sometimes develop a penchant for p******g on sockets.)

Hi,

There is no cats or dogs. I removed the two extension sockets from the other rooms the only cables that are connected are the ones into the nte5 socket.
If the extension cables are internal could they be damp?

Thanks,

P.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

There is no cats or dogs. I removed the two extension sockets from the other rooms the only cables that are connected are the ones into the nte5 socket.
If the extension cables are internal could they be damp?

Thanks,

P.

Anything is possible faggster. One of the favourite faults is where people have laid the cable underneath carpets and the constant people traffic above it splits it and eventually wears it through. If you don't fancy rewiring for new cables, you could always try some of the other conductors, until you find three that will work without the noise. Although this would at best be a temporary fix, as if the cable is damaged, it will eventually begin to affect ALL the conductors.

" a battery on the line....." is BT talk for a resistance,either a short or an open

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back