Telephone wiring - tidying up

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Evening all

After some DIY I have been left with:

1) a reel of telephone wire which led to second extension which I have ripped out;

2) a reel of excess telephone wire which leads from the box at the porch to the primary extension, following relocation of that extension

There is a diagram here:

The telephone wire comes in from outside of my flat. It then splits inside a small box (the wiring here is pretty messy, but it looks like the cable has just been divided). It then goes out in one direction to the old extension, and in another to the primary extension.

I would like to:

1) cut the old extension leaving only a small bit of wiring in case I want to have a second extension in the future

2) remove the slack from the primary extension - so I need to cut it apart and re-attach it, nice and neatly in the small box

My question is: can I do this? Or will cutting these wires and reattaching them (correctly, obviously) cause my house to melt or something else disasterous?

Thanks

strangedays

Sponsored Links
No, you won't blow up your house or anything like that! About the worst you'll do is get a bit of a tingle if you happen to have your fingers across the wires when the line rings.

What is the "little box" you refer to where the line splits? Is it a BT 52A by any chance, like this?

http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/52a_potel.jpg

Do you have broadband? If you do then you need to reconsider the wiring.

Sponsored Links
there is actually nothing to the little box - its just a piece of plastic, presumably put around the wiring to cover up the mess.

what is the broadband concern - how would this be affected if i rewire?

With broadband it is best to have the NTE5 as close to the incomming pair as possible, then use a filtered ADSL faceplate to seperate any ADSL/telephone extensions. What you are trying to avoid is sending the ADSL signal down extensions that do not need it. The plastic box will be a junction box, if you need to replace it the normal box is a BT80A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back