Telephone Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, I have moved into a property and I am fixing the phone up. I had a look under the house for the main line for the phone and found I don't have a NID.

I just have the wires for the home phone coming up out of the ground through the soil and about a foot of cabling sticking out from the ground. Its a thick black cable with two wires coming out red and black.

I only plan on having a DSL modem connected and VOIP no phone lines will be installed in the house at all.

Now I tested the red and black wires with a handset and get a dial tone fine.

But and there is always a but, I have the following questions...

1) I have red / black wiring coming from the phone lines out in the street and up through the ground. On my socket in the house I have a blue / white cable from where it was cut previously before I got here. I have hooked them up either way and I get a dial tone. Which way should I join the red / black to the blue /white?

2) I need to make a connection where the wires are coming up from the ground, there is literally a black cable coming out of the ground only about a foot so I have limited cable length to play with and the floor is very low to the ground. I want to put a junction box or something there to join the mains wires to the house wiring simiiar to a NID but on a smaller scale what would be the best way to do this?

3) Do I need a filter if I am using naked dsl and voip?

Look forward to your reply!

Sponsored Links
A filter is used to make an ADSL line compatible with POTS (Plain Old Telephone Systems), so it isn't strictly necessary if you are not using analogue telephone facilities.

.....But......

In this part of the world, telephone service providers terminate their services on a standard NTE (Network Terminating Equipment) to provide a standard analogue interface for the customer, and line test facilities for themselves.
If there is no NTE fitted, automatic line testing facilities incorporated in the local exchanges may identify the line as faulty, and it could be taken out of service.

I have worked on installations where there was no identified requirement for POTS, so they were connected to the NTEs without any filters. The problems we noted were a less than ideal cable type used for the interconnection, which probably didn't help the maximum data rates much, and unauthorised attempts to access POTS from the installations rendering the DSL inoperative.

So 9 times out of 10 we end up fitting a filter just to connect the analogue presentation from the network supplier's NTE to DSL equipment, even if we don't want to use POTS, because it's a convenient way of getting the plug to fit the socket.

Have you a test meter? if you measure the voltage on the incoming line it will tell you the correct polarity.

If you have to make a joint underneath the floor i would recommend a sealed connection as you wouldn't want ingress of moisture later on.

The idea of the dongle filter is simply put, to stop any interference between the internet and your phone, if you will not be using a handset directly into this socket it wouldn't be needed, BUT would suggest installing a master socket as it comes with a surge suppressor and test resistor

VOIP is packet data not analogue which is an awesome bit of engineering

Karl.

***Removed***

Sponsored Links
I only plan on having a DSL modem connected and VOIP no phone lines will be installed in the house at all.

Do not forget that VOIP cannot be relied on for emergency calls. A point that few people had overlooked until their emergency happened.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back