Wiring a new phone master socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a phone wire that comes from the overhead cable into a house that I have referbished. The cable is black with 4 wires. They are white, black, brown and orange.
I need to two things...
1. Extend this cble slightly so that I can take it into the house.
2. Fit the other end to a master socket.

Issues - the new (extention) cable that I have has 6 wires - to or three of these are white.

Which wire matches up to which when I fit the master socket.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Hi there

Orange and white are the ones to use. connect them to two and five respectibvly and it will work.

Good luck,

Just hope no one calls while you holding the cable :)

Martin

cheers martin. The 'new' cable has several white cables. I presume I go for one and change it until I get a tone ? How come there are so many cables when all I need is two ? ! :confused:

Sponsored Links
It is the orange & white wires, but you are NOT allowed to touch them :!: Only BT engineers are allowed to connect the incoming cable, if you get caught messing with it, BT can disconnect you permanently!! and expect a heavy fine :!: :!:

If it has several; can you confirm that they are single coloured and not striped, if they are striped, there different info you need

Where and how will you join BT drop wire to extend it in to the house ?

Do you have a krone IDC tool ? and if you can place it somewhere away from the weathering factors you could use a

GPJB1.JPG

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPJB1.html

Google BT77B for suppliers of the screw type.

Terminate the live drop wire pair on one side and on the other side the 3 pair cable, pair one (white with blue and blue with white).

Polarity should be A leg earth white blue to master socket 5, B leg battery blue white to master socket 2.

Depends if you are using a master line jack (then it's pins 2 and 5 as above) or an NTE

NTE5_BT_rear.jpg

The external pair (in your case the joined 3 core internal cable) will terminate under the screws A and B, A leg earth, B' leg battery.

If you really are in to it get a multi meter (set to DC volt 0-100) and put the common lead on an earth source (rad or water pipe). When you put the other lead on the battery you will get about 50v DC (or 75v Dc if ringing on line). That's your B'leg battery.

Set the meter to continuity and it will bleep when you probe the wire that has the earth A'leg.

Repeating the advice that you are interfering with cable that is the property of BT ( or the company providing the cable ).

If there is ever a need to call out OpenReach for a fault and they find you DIY "master socket" you could find yourself with a bill for them make the installation legal. Thats if it complies technically, ( it has the proper type of NTE 5 used as the "master socket" if it is technically "wrong" they may cease the service to you.

The incoming cable ( drop wire ) will NOT make good connection to the IDC ( press in ) connector in DIY wiring items. Well.. it will but any other wires pressed into the same connection will be un-reliable as the drop wire conductors are larger diameter and harder material and will damage the jaws of the connectors.

Get the job done by the people who own the drop wire.. that's BT

But if you insist

http://solwise.co.uk/telesun-extension-sockets.htm

and one third of the way down the page

This is the standard 'large' BT master socket. Although BT rules prevent you working on the network side of their master, there is nothing to stop you installing your own NTE5 downstream. The NTE5 can be then used to fit a faceplate splitter as the basis of a flexible approach to wiring your premises for ADSL.

cheers martin. The 'new' cable has several white cables. I presume I go for one and change it until I get a tone ? How come there are so many cables when all I need is two ? ! icon_confused.gif

If it is phone type colour+white cable then you should find each white is twisted with a colour to make a pair.

Where and how will you join BT drop wire to extend it in to the house ?

Do you have a krone IDC tool ? and if you can place it somewhere away from the weathering factors you could use a

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GPJB1.html

Google BT77B for suppliers of the screw type.

Terminate the live drop wire pair on one side and on the other side the 3 pair cable, pair one (white with blue and blue with white).

Polarity should be A leg earth white blue to master socket 5, B leg battery blue white to master socket 2.

Depends if you are using a master line jack (then it's pins 2 and 5 as above) or an NTE

NTE5_BT_rear.jpg

The external pair (in your case the joined 3 core internal cable) will terminate under the screws A and B, A leg earth, B' leg battery.

If you really are in to it get a multi meter (set to DC volt 0-100) and put the common lead on an earth source (rad or water pipe). When you put the other lead on the battery you will get about 50v DC (or 75v Dc if ringing on line). That's your B'leg battery.

Set the meter to continuity and it will bleep when you probe the wire that has the earth A'leg.

I have a tool and a bit of kit that will allow me to extend. Will be putting it out of the way of the weather. Thanks for the advice

What kind of "tool" and what "bit of kit"?

A pair of scissors and a roll of sellotape?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back