Telephone wiring

Hi Kiwibird,

The BT linebox is a fairly distinctive design, look at the front of the socket in question, if it is a BT linebox it will have the following characteristics;

The box itself is approx 8.5 x 8cm.

The lower half of the front panel is held in place by two screws positioned either side of the hole for the jack, which sits more or less in the middle of this lower portion.

If the socket looks like this then you can make a direct connection to the box and still keep BT happy (they allow you to do the connection legally and all above board!), remove the two screws holding the bottom section in place.

Pull the bottom section away from the box, and you will be left with a flat panel, on the back of which are two rows of terminals. These should be numbered and the numbers match those of the description given in a previous post.

To make the connection of the wire to the terminals, pass the loose wire into the box on the wall via one of the slots on the back or sides (you may have to push a plastic "knock-out" flap away from the hole in the box to open it up)

Match the coloured wires to the numbered terminals and attach each of the wires to the terminal using a plastic "punch-down" tool which you can get from most DIY shops for about a pound.

Fix the panel back onto the wall box and you should be in business.

Hope that helps.

Sponsored Links
Thanks...I don't think I do have one of these sockets - the jack is dead centre with 2 screws either side. It is a chrome-fronted socket so at some point in the past someone has altered this from the bog standard white.

Didn't get round to trying to fix this yesterday.....will do it today & report back!

Hi!
Thanks to you all - first of all, I did take the socket cover off but decided against trying to wire in the extension as I didn't really want to mess up the entire line.

The phone will of course work if I plug it in in the hall & bypass the extenstion all together. Is a messy solution as I now have wires everywhere as the phone needs an electric socket but I will get a cheap plug in phone and get it attached to the wall.

Sorted!!

Thanks to all!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back