Telephone wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry if this is the wrong place for this!!

The jack on the end of my telephone cable has come loose. The end that plugs into the wall. I went to the diy shop and bought a replacement but the instructions were sketchy - trim the cable - insert the wires - put the top on - job done! Guess what?!! It didn't work! There was no info on which order to put the wires. I have an orange, an orange & white, a blue & a blue and white.

Does anyone know which order they should be in as I really don't want to pay a fortune for an engineer to come out for what should be a simple job.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
heeellloo kiwibird and welcome :D:D:D:D

if i am understanding this properly

go and buy a new phone for about £5 and plug it in[NOT from bt]
if the origional belongs to bt ask them how to return it thus saving several pounds a year

Hi!!

The problem is that the previous owners of the house ran a cable from the main phone socket under the floor and through the wall into the lounge so you can have a phone in there. The main socket is in the hall by the front door. The jack that has come off is at the end of the cable that comes out of the floor and plugs into the main socket so I can't just get a new phone as I still need this jack to be working.

Does that make sense?

Hope so!
Thanks to all for looking and trying to help.

Sponsored Links
Yes, thanks for those links - have had a go according to the pictures there but no go.......so much for being something simple....looks like will have to call a 'man' out!. Hey ho!!

Thanks for all your help!

kiwibird said:
Yes, thanks for those links - have had a go according to the pictures there but no go.......so much for being something simple....looks like will have to call a 'man' out!. Hey ho!!

Thanks for all your help!

as its nowt to do with B T its going to cost an arm and a leg to repair if you call them out :rolleyes:

Pull some slack in and wire it directly to the back of the socket! Blue/(White) to 2 White Blue to 5 Orange/(White) to 3 White/Orange to 4

Either that, or on the plug end, the colour will be as numbered above, from left to right, 2345, with the plug release on the right, pins on top.

Do you mean the back of the socket on the wall? ie. unscrew that and wire it in?

Did wonder if I could do that....

Wouldn't be calling BT - no chance!!

Couldn't an electrician do it if I still can't get it done or aren't they allowed to?

Thanks in advance!

Yes, any an electrician worth his salt could do it.

Give it a go - If you cant get it to work, call some one in......or get a cordless phone :LOL:

you aren't supposed to wire in to BTs master sockets unless they are the two part type (on the two part type the contacts on the lower panel are for your connections and the ones on the back for BT) but lots of people do and they generally don't care.

I don't really understand your post.......I am planning on taking the socket off the wall and wiring the cable in to it directly.......is this what you are saying I shouldn't do?

he is, you are not supposed to but bt dont usualy worry about it

Have you got a linebox?

It is ID'd by being the same size as a standard 1Gang accessory and having the socket offset from centre?

In this case, you can remove the frontplate, and connect your wiring direct to the back of that.

As described, 2=blue/white, 3=orange/white, 5=white/blue.**

**Assuming, of course, the same colour coding is used at the other end!!

Again, sorry for my ignorance but I don't know what type of socket I have. The actual socket is dead centre so maybe not the type you are talking about.

As yet, haven't taken it off the wall to have a look - that is the job for today!

Would be great to get the phone working again!! I don't know how the wires came loose in the first place, they just did and there was intermittent sound on phone calls, then all of a sudden nothing and the end of the cable that plugs into the socket is in the socket and the cable is on the floor!

Anyway, will let you all know how I get on!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back