Television-Acoustic Solutions 32"-Cuts out then stopped

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all.

I have been having a problem with 32 inch acoustic solution television recently and was looking for some advice on a fix or repair.

What started happening was every so often the tv would put itself in standby,this over a course of around 3-4 weeks changed too turning itself off then on again.This would happen maybe 2-3 times a day til it got too a point of happening all the time.well as time gone on the tv has gone off completely.

I do not know what i was looking at but i did take a look inside and noticed the fuse(2.5a 250v) had shattered,the glass casing was in half and the half that was left was brown and crumble upon touch.My daughter(its her tv) said that the last thing the tv done before it completely went off was make a big spark at the back on the tv which she saw burst up(flash of light).

Now i the only thing i could think of and that was change the fuse,i thought maybe since it was below a shelf she spilt something on it but i changed the fuse and as soon as i switch the plug there was a little click sound and nothing happened.I did have a light in the extension i used and that flickered a bit so i presume the fuse has blown.

So hope fully i have explained enough the problem,does anyone have any ideas as too what the issue is.I have had the tv around 4 years and have not ever had any problem with it other then this.
I have done a bit of research and from what i can see it is very rare that it a fuse problem,if the fuse blows the problem is elsewhere.

P.s
Not sure if im allowed too ask this or not but if there is not a fix i can do myself what would be a good price too call in a repair man too take a look and hopefully fix.

Sponsored Links
I hate to be the merchant of doom here but it's useful to get plain honest advice to save you wasting a load of time, trouble and cost in the long run.

Flatscreen TVs have relatively few discrete parts. Most repairs are done by changing whole circuit boards. Search EBay for listings on XSUS and YSUS boards, control boards, power supplies, T con boards etc. The makers of budget brand TVs charge an arm and a leg for spares direct. But there are dealers offering parts for more reasonable prices online. try here

If the fuse went in a big way then something fairly major has happened. Fuses are usually fitted as a fail safe. The fuse dies before the TV has a chance to total itself. However, this isn't always the case. If the new fuse blew straight away then something is still very wrong. In cases like this you can find yourself looking at almost a complete set of replacement boards because the original fault created a cascade failure.

So, the big question.... Is it worth repairing.

An engineers repair is likely to cost upwards of £150. If you go DIY then you could potentially save some money as long as the new boards don't get blown by something you missed. A secondhand or refurbed TV might make better financial sense.

I don't think your a merchant of doom m8,your just being realistic and i prefer that kind of answer.

The thing that kind of worries me about self repair is the fact i could get a new board and install it only too find it something else that is causing the problem but without expert knowledge i wont have any way of finding out what and could go to a lot of expense trying too work out by trial and error.

Now of course that would be the best way too learn i guess but it will be the expensive way when i could get a 32" new for 200 quid or less.
so calling in a repair man/woman for 150 or there about"s is not really worth doing.

so overall since the problem cant be found without an expert looking i guess a new tv it is.It is a shame since i looked thoroughly at the insides and saw absolutely no damage or anything that looked burnt etc.so dunno what it could be.

If you have any other ideas ill still be watching this thread,i can post images of the inside if needed also.
Thanks for the reply.

It's not possible to make electrical measurements on pictures of components. ;)

Feel free to upload them but the chance of making an accurate diagnosis from a photo is slim. Most damage has no external sign. I was looking inside an electronic switch today and I couldn't see any visible damage until I used a microscope attached to my PC. Then, on the screen, I spotted a tiny surface-mount transistor, which had burned out.

The internal fuse is there to protect the circuits (and you) from damage, in the event of a fault.

You committed two errors here:

1. You ignored the initial symptoms when repair would probably have involved replacing a 50p capacitor. (A simple repair and probably not very expensive - being mostly labour charge.)

Even after the fuse melted, damage might have been minimal and repair cost reasonable, but...

2. You replaced the fuse, thus possibly increasing the amount of damage by applying a second voltage surge. Now repair gets expensive because there may be several faulty parts to track down and replace.

(If an internal fuse blows you must ALWAYS get the equipment tested before replacing it. Fuses rarely melt just for the hell of it.)

Best thing you can do is take the TV to a repair shop. Problem is, most shops charge for the time taken to locate the main faults in order to prepare an estimate. Also, because there may be other, hidden faults, the estimate may not be accurate OR it may deliberately be pitched very high, just in case.

If I were checking it, I would locate a working PSU and fit it in temporarily. If the TV worked, I'd know that the damage was limited to the PSU. However, spare PSUs may not be available for that model.

The other way (in a properly equipped workshop) is to connect up a bench PSU, which would have all the required voltages available.

Sponsored Links
I have decided too just get a new one,they using a portable for now til i see one i want to get.

On the subject of the 2 errors....

1..completely agree,i saw there was something wrong and choose too ignore it til too late which was my own fault.

2..I cant tell if i caused more damage but i cant tell one component from the next except the fuse.I guess hoping a simple fuse change would solve my issue was negligent on part.

So on the face of it i didn't know what i was doing so should of stayed away and called in the experts.trying too save a few quid has in fact cost me a hell of a lot more,so big slap on the wrist for me i reckon.
Thanks for the reply lesson learned here i think.

This thread can be closed now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back