television.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
my television picture has just turned green and purple. i have adjusted the colour settings but nothing happens. can anything be done to resolve this problem, or do i need a new television?

Sponsored Links
There is always something that can be done.
How old is the tv
Is the repair cost effective.
Do you want current technology.
These are what you should be asking yourself.

I cant wait for my 32" crt tv to pack up. But while its 'a ok', I cant justify spending for the sake of it.

Have you moved all loudspeakers away from it, and turned it off, then on, a couple of times using the on-off switch on the TV (not the remote).

the tv is 4 years old. there are no loudspeakers near it and i have just switched the set on and off and the problem is still there.

Sponsored Links
the picture is like this.
a green circle in the middle of the screen, then a purple circle around this and then the 4 corners of the screen are normal.

:( done the easy stuff, it needs mending. TVs have got better and cheaper in the last 4 years, can you buy a new one?

If it's big and expensive, it might be worth getting it mended. someone will be along in a minute who'll know what the fault is. But it may not be worth the cost.

Have you got kids? or has someone been near it with a magnet? It sounds like you need to degauss it. The advice on Digitalspy is to switch off the TV at the mains, leave overnight, then switch on, the TV should automtically degauss itself (alledgedly)

the on/off switch should have done that :(

You can usually hear a soft "thump" when you switch it on and the degauss happens.

You have what is called a purity error on the crt. This is caused in one of two ways
a: there has been a large magnetic influence near the tv which has temporarily magnetized the tube or

b: there is a fault in the degauss circuit inside the tv.

There is a third possibility and that is the shadow mask has moved within the crt which only a tube replacement would cure but this is the unlikely cause.
purity errors are caused by magnetic influence on the electronic beam of the crt which may be for example destined for a red phosphor being slightly offset and hitting a green phsphor instead giving a complete incorrect colour.

Over time magnetic influences build up on the crt and the job of the degauss circuit is that every time the tv is switched on from cold it passes a heavy current through a coil strapped to the back of the tube and this cleanses the crt of and residual magnetism. But if the tv is only switched off and on from standby, over a period of time purity errors will show on the crt. A very common fault is a component in the degauss circuit simply goes dry joint and a simple resoldering job will cure.

IT IS A GOODMANS TV.
THE TV IS PERMENANTLY ON STAND BY. TONIGHT I WILL TURN IT OFF AT THE WALL AND LEAVE IT OVERNIGHT. THANKS FOR ALL OF YOUR THOUGHTS AS TO PROBABLE CAUSES.

A few years back we had similar problems with a TV that had been dropped :eek: presumably the shadow mask had moved.

After deciding the set was a write-off, we experimented, and managed to pull the picture back to a reasonable state by running a magnet across the screen. We're still using that TV now.

As I say , it was an experiment on a set we had 'written off', so we had nothing to lose. The results could have gone either way

left the tv unplugged all night and the problem is still there.
am buying a new one today.
a samsung 32". model le32r88bd. it is there latest model with a resolution of 8000:1.
hope it is o.k.
any comments on this tv before i buy it? :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back