tell me about my incoming supply

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm redoing my kitchen and have ripped everything out (including the floor).

Here in the corner is my incoming supply; it's a mess and I need to do something with it before the new kitchen goes in. I'm not going to pretend I can do this myself, but I would like some help and information so I can talk to an electrician and decide what to do. It's down at cupboard level, and was previously inside a corner unit with the back cut out for the boards, while the consumer unit (top right) was fixed to the cabinet itself.

So... what can you tell me about all this? I notice it says 160A 450V on the fuse (?).

What, if anything here, can I get the electricity company to replace or move for free due to age and safety grounds? The cable looks old and fragile, There's not one but two boards holding the fuse and meter, the fuse board doesn't look particularly attached. What kind of earth is it?

I'd like to know a little more about the electrics themselves and also solutions for leaving this in a tidy and accessible state when I put the units back. I can pay for an electrician to do what's necessary but not hundreds of pounds for the electric company themselves to do stuff!

Anything you can tell me or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

meter1small.jpg
fusesmall.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks like old TNS supply converted to PME with bond on to cable sheath.
Supply won't be 160A, that's just the rating of the carrier/cut-out.

To be honest even though it looks a bit of a mess it's not the worst and, unless there is danger, you probably won't get anything for free.
You will do more good ensuring your installation is up to current requirements with regard to your new works.

That makes sense, there appears to be some metal braiding around the cable that goes to the box (lower right) that then connects to the neutral terminal near the fuse and an earth cable to the consumer unit.

To be honest even though it looks a bit of a mess it's not the worst and, unless there is danger, you probably won't get anything for free.

I figured as much. Possible a cut out switch if I'm lucky it seems. If they own the backing boards though, I wish I could at least get everything on to one board!

Ideally I would have liked a new meter box on the outside, but that's looking to cost around £645 (+ the cost of the box) according to the form from Eon (http://www.eon-uk.com/downloads/WPD_-_Moving-Your-Electricity-Supply.pdf)

You will do more good ensuring your installation is up to current requirements with regard to your new works.

I will, this work is all about putting things right as much as improvement.

Let's hope it was done officially - can't see a PME sticker...

mnemonix - contact your supplier (the DNO, not the people you buy electricity from) and ask them to confirm that you should have a PME supply.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back