Temporarily removing block paving for trench

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have to dig a trench for the fitting of some underground cabling for Solar Panels. The most direct route is between our house and garage - some 15m or so which is currently block paved. I have carried out some simple excavation at one side and can see the blocks sit on a sand and red aggregate base. Before going ahead with this, I wondered if there was anything, in particular, I need to be wary of? The trench is carrying armoured electrical and network cabling to a garage consumer unit.

Would this mean the block paving needs refitting by a professional? Are there any gremlins to consider? I am not sure how far down the aggregate goes and whether there is another layer of old tarmac but hopefully not.

Sponsored Links
Take the blocks up and scrape up the sand and the hardcore into separate piles for later replacing. Take up at least one block (200mm) past the width of the trench

Then dig your trench and pile the soil up separately.

When refiling the trench, you should compact the replaced soil every 300mm. The cable should be at the regulation depth. Lay marker tape if you like.

Then replace the hardcore, then the sand. You may need to get some more concrete sand. Compact these layers then relay the pavers - allow for a final compaction when laying the pavers. Re-sand the joints with kiln-dried sand

You may also need to lift some of the adjacent pavers and re-bed the sand to get the surface right

How about using a mole machine to punch a trench under ground?
I know they use this method for pipework but don't know if there is a 'suitable' attachment to make the hole big enough for a cabling duct.

Sponsored Links
We got some tradesmen in then end and they did a great job. I'm glad I didn't tackle it. They found all manner of evils under the blocks including patches of concrete and it was a hard job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back