Temporary Deccommision

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm currently doing a plumbing course and for my nvq I have a few questions to answer.

Could someone help me the steps for the following :

1.temporary decommissioning

2.Insuffient pipe clips on hot water pipe work to bath(hot water fed from combi boiler)

3.Isolation valve leaking on hot water supply to mixer shower( new valve required)

4.cold water storage cistern inadequate for demand(larger cistern to be installed)

5.central heating circulating pump not working (needs replacing)

6. Radiator blocked(hot and cold patches) over surface( combi boiler system)

7.isolation valve passing on filling loop causing boiler PRV to discharge

8.blocked hand basin trap

9.blocked waste pipe

10.leaking waste pipe elbow from wash basin

I just need the steps as if you were at a customers home what you would do. Each statement starts with

Inform the customer
Protect the fabric area
Isolate supply at .....

Can anybody help. Thank you in advance

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Fabric area? Which supply, gas, water, electricity?
If this course is worth having you'll actually have performed many of those tasks (though at waist height on a clean bench instead of under the kitchen sink with a stench of dog **** and sh*try nappies)- so write them up as though you're doing them and post that- you might get some help then.
If the course is paper only then you've wasted your time and money...

sorry but he will lear absolutely nothing by asking us to give him the answers
Yep, back when I was doing mine, our tutor told us which books the answers are likely to be in, but we had to go and find them and the answers :cool:

I just need the steps as if you were at a customers home what you would do. Each statement starts with

Inform the customer
Protect the fabric area
Isolate supply at .....

Can anybody help. Thank you in advance
One piece of advice I will give you, you have asked if in a customers home, what would we do? Turn the question around, and think about what you would or might do?

Last edited:
As suggested .... have a stab at the questions yourself and then post what you think is correct, the fact that you have at least attempted to answer them will go a long with with the pro's on here and you may get some help.

The whole idea is for you to learn how to do these things, part of that is to see the job in your head and problem solve and then possibly write risk assessments if you're on site. That allows you to prep correctly, doing those written exercises will get you thinking that way.

Yep, back when I was doing mine, our tutor told us which books the answers are likely to be in, but we had to go and find them and the answers :cool:
Best way Chris, it is not so much about what the answers are, its a lot about learing how to find the answers, which he will have to do when he is out on his own, he cant just come online everytime he is stumped , well I suppose he could most of the clowns on Gas Chat do

• Thanks
Reactions: CBW
Go easy on the guy. He's only trying to learn and if he has the problem of useless college tutors who don't have much on the tools experience he needs to make use of all possible sources.

I'll start with #1
Temporary decommissioning really means isolating an appliance so you can work on it. So, how do you isolate it electrically if its an electrical appliance. You should have covered safe isolation in your health and safety module. This is where it applies.
How do you shut off the water and drain down so you can work without getting wet and causing floods. Isolation valves to individual taps/appliances, stop cocks on mains supplies, gate/lever valves on cistern fed supplies. How to bung a cistern outlet when the gate valves don't work. Drain cocks and how to avoid having to use them because they're usually crap. Bunging open vented systems so rads etc can be worked on without time consuming drain downs.

There is so much stuff that as pros we do every day but you won't find in a text book.

Temporary decommissioning really means isolating an appliance so you can work on it

Could it also mean preventing a faulty appliance from being used by the owner ( capping off the gas supply for example ) until that appliance has been repaired.

Most of those questions are basic common sense and should not need to be asked

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back