Isolation valves for basin and cistern

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning to have a concealed basin and toilet i.e. the water pipes will not be visible. Is it sensible to have the isolation valves for hot and cold pipes under the bath where they are accessible?

Or is this pointless as there is a length of pipe beyond the bath before the basin and cistern are fed?

Sponsored Links
Isolation valves are added to allow serving or removal of an appliance without the need to shut off the mains. It's best practice.

If you're the only one that will ever need to work with them and you have easy access to the mains, then they're not critical.

Daft not too, really. Assuming there will be a panel and the valves concealed, use lever ball valves rather than the crappy 50p ones, that maybe seized by the time you need them.
Whatever you use, go for full bore and decent quality

Sponsored Links
They look ok to me, might be better with the Peglers though.

A bit overkill just for a basin and toilet, good quality ball valves would be more discrete.

when the WC goes wrong, you will need access to look under the cistern lid. So you could put a valve where it will be readily accessible when you take the ornamental cover off (if you tile over it you have only yourself to blame).

I prefer the full-bore Peglers. I've known cheap ones start leaking the first time they are operated, and one that starting leaking when we opened a floor-trap above it.

The T-handle make not look quite as bad, if it is above (or below) eyeline. You can have just the handle protruding through an enclosure.
ae235

https://www.screwfix.com/p/pegler-tee-ball-valve-red-15mm/29086

There is a neater type used on the continent where a chrome stem protrudes out of the wall.

Thanks guys.
I am going to need to fit 6 of these valves under the bath (may be two more to switch everything off at the start). This is for the bath taps, basin taps, electric shower and cistern.

Question: is this still a good idea or do I just fit one set where the pipes enter the bathroom, under the bath?

If you do suggest the use of these (and I can see some benefit to it), practically, where do you suggest I situate these and is there an order in which I should tee off for each service? I had anticipated taking the pipes to the back wall (furthers part of the wall) and clip it there before teeing off for each of the services.

One on each pipe that enters the bathroom would be sufficient, presumably one hot and one cold. That's enough to turn off the supply while you replace or repair something.

If the extra cost and effort is not a concern, one on each pipe of each fitting is even better, because somebody can use the WC while you are repairing the shower, or vice versa.

@Jupiter01 with reference to your other thread about wall hung basins, just use these to isolate the basin tap.

https://www.bes.co.uk/flat-faced-angled-isolation-valve-15mm-x-1-2-bsp-pm-23571

Put them on the copper stubs, as they exit the tiles and then attach your tap flexis directly on to them, arrange the flexi hoses so they are not strained or kinked and look neat.

If your flexis from the taps are 3/8ths (or 12mm), you can also get one of the above that is 15mm x 3/8ths... And they both have the flat face, to which a female flex nut can be secured to without slicing the rubber washer.

Thanks for your help guys.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I tee off for cistern, toilet and shower. Should they be done in a particular sequence or does that not matter. My hot water is supplied by a combi boiler.

I am also thinking about clipping all of these pipes to the back wall under the bath before they are diverted in the direction of the relevant service. Does this seem sensible?

Thanks for your help guys.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I tee off for cistern, toilet and shower. Should they be done in a particular sequence or does that not matter. My hot water is supplied by a combi boiler.

I am also thinking about clipping all of these pipes to the back wall under the bath before they are diverted in the direction of the relevant service. Does this seem sensible?
Any sequence will do ,and securing pipes ,and fitting pipe insulation is good.

Just a thought - will the pipes clipped to the back wall interfere with the bath tub when it is pushed into place? I was thinking about the legs. Or do they angle in?

Update: I fit the isolation valves under the bath

upload_2019-9-24_20-50-3.png

There's one set for the whole bathroom.

Thanks again

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back