Temporary materials storage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a load of materials together for an extension I'm planning including mdf skirting, mdf Cill boards, hardwood worktop, mdf sheets, plasterboard, vinyl, and a few other bits.

My question is, does anybody have any ideas for an external temporary store To keep it in? I was thinking a timber frame with a raised deck and a large tarp thrown over and tied down, but i suspect some of it is going to get ruined during the damp winter months?

Sponsored Links
However you do your frame and covering, suggest NOT using those blue polypropylene 'tarps' from B&Q. I did once and it didn't last the winter.

I've got a load of materials..... including mdf skirting, mdf Cill boards, hardwood worktop, mdf sheets, plasterboard, vinyl, and a few other bits.

.....i suspect some of it is going to get ruined during the damp winter months?

I suspect you're right. In this part of the world MDF won't last 6 months outside in the winter no matter how you wrap it up. It will start to swell and the surface will become "grainy". Plasterboard is even worse - a few days out under cover in the damp and it's sometimes boogerred - and there's nothing worse than trying to clad out a ceiling where the PB has got a bit damp. If it has been delivered in a "cling-film" wrapped pack it will last longer, but it still won't do months. As to leaving a hardwood worktop outside, even well wrapped, you're asking for trouble because once you bring it inside all sorts of movement can occur. Properly managed sites either get the materials inside the building (once it's weather tight) or have a steel sea container specifically set aside for dry storage. They also try to minimise the volume of "perishables" like PB to days worth rather than weeks worth of material in part to side-step these problems.

Sorry if that's no help but I've tried a number of times to store MDF outside on jobs and it hasn't worked

Buy a cheap wooden shed. (not a metal one-that would be worse than rain with condensation)

Sponsored Links
MDF, Plasterboard, prebought, storing in an outside in a shed... braver man than me!

I know that doesnt help, but I would be getting inside if you have space at all.

Daniel

It's tricky isn't it? I've got stuff stashed all over. Various piles around the garden, some covered with tarps, some in the shed and the dining room is becoming a storeroom for the delicate stuff

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back