Temporary use of electric 'instant' water heater

The unit I installed only requires the cold pressure to function ie it will provide a cold shower with no hot. which was really confusing as the thermostatic cartridge had been inserted round the wrong way and trying to get water out of it with only the cold connected didn't happen.
The spec flameport posted indicated that, as a feature, the mixer would 'shut off' if the input hot water temp was not at least 12° above the output temp of the mixer -= something which could obviously only be achieved if both hot and cold water were available and that at least some cold water were being mixed with the hot.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I can only assume to cater for latent heat expansion, that is assuming there is no cold water booster upstream of the heater
I'm not sure what you mean by "latent heat expansion" but it certainly is (from the heater's point-of-view) an 'unvented system' (since water flow controlled by downstream taps/valves. However, unless there is a non-return valve in the cold fed to the heater,the pressure within it presumably can't rise to significantly above that of the cold supply? ... although I have to say that the instructions for some of these heaters I've seen indicate that a 'pressure relief valve' should be installed in the cold feed.
I didn't look at FPs post before post #74. I know ours has a different spec but trying to identify it now is going to be tricky.
Fair enough, but you've seen it now, as well as reading my precis of the relevant bit, so should be aware of this 'safety feature' on at least one of them, and its 'consequences'.
I've worked on lots of big hot water systems and can work my way round most plant rooms where pressure vessels are common place for various reasons but I'll not pretend to be an expert but even less so on small domestic systems. ... I'll just add I've seen one or two more abroad than those I've mentioned and I believe all have included the vessel, maybe for safety; afterall a sealed system + heat = increased pressure.
All true - but none of them I've looked at so far say anything about a pressure vessel - and, on the contrary incude diagrams which show only heater, pipework and taps/showers. As above, in the absence of a non-return valve the pressure should be limited by supply pressure, if not also by an explicit PRV on the input supply.

I would also imagine that these heaters probably have some sort of internal 'pressure relief' provision, to cater for the situation in which, due to a fault, the heating element remains energised when there is no water flow, even if temp sensors fal to switch it off?
I don't know about you but I never heated a sealed 1 gallon oil can with a blowtorch to see if it split :cautious:
No comment - but we certainly did the opposite (imploding a 1-gallon oil can) in the 'collapsing can experiment' at school ;)

Kind Regards, John

A little update ...

Having gathered a lot of information, advice and suggestions (some from this forum), I've decided to 'give it a try'. This decision has been helped by the fact that one of my friends has offered to 'lend' me an 'almost unused' ~10kW heater, which will minimise the cost of the experiment..

In view of some of the discussions here about thermostatic mixer valves, I'll almost certainly start by trying with a manual one, and then perhaps move on to thermostatic if that further experiment seems appropriate.

However, given the time of year (and the temp within an unheated house!), it's likely to be at least a few weeks before I get this done, so I think you'll all have to wait patiently until significantly into next year before I will be able to 'report on' any results!

Many thanks to everyone who has contributed usefully to this discussion so far.

Kind Regards, John

In a system fed by mains water pressure, without looking in to it deeply, I'd guess it will only require a non return valve in the cold supply to prevent contamination (just the same as any shower, or for that matter anything else, where the outlet is capable of reaching the standing water in shower tray or bath etc.). Oh and possibly a PRV.
Just to reiterate, any system where an outlet can be under standing water requires a NRV to prevent any contamination to the public supply and I believe that is by law.

Sponsored Links
Just to reiterate, any system where an outlet can be under standing water requires a NRV to prevent any contamination to the public supply and I believe that is by law.
Indeed - but in relation to indoor plumbing, my understanding is that everything is meant to be arranged so that situation cannot arise - e.g.. taps must be above bath/basin/sinks (or their overflows), and the equivalent for shower hoses,etc. 'Outdoors' introduces more potential for backflow - but I presume even that only if supply pressure drops to a very low figure.

Kind Regards, John

Indeed - but in relation to indoor plumbing, my understanding is that everything is meant to be arranged so that situation cannot arise - e.g.. taps must be above bath/basin/sinks (or their overflows), and the equivalent for shower hoses,etc. 'Outdoors' introduces more potential for backflow - but I presume even that only if supply pressure drops to a very low figure.

Kind Regards, John
And a vessel full of latant heat doesn't create a back flow?

My comments are based on my commercial premises work, i don't know how or if it relates to domestic work but I suspect there is little distinction between the two. I'm sure any requirement will either be incuded or included in the installation instructions.

I know the combination boiler/hot water pressurised cylinder in my daughters previous house had a NRV as I had to keep removing it to clean the filter.

And a vessel full of latant heat doesn't create a back flow?
Again, I don't really understand what you mean by 'latent heat' - a term which really only applies to situations such as 'phase transitions' (i.e. from solid to liquid or liquid to gas, or vice versa).

I will assume that you are referring to a vessel full of hot/heated water. However, in the sort of heater we're discussing, the nearest to a 'vessel' is the pipework within the heater, including that in the 'heat exchanger', which will have a very low volume (seemingly 0.35 litres in one I'm looking at).

As far as I can see, the only scope for 'backflow' would result from the expansion of that very small volume of water as it was heated from incoming to target temp (whilst outflow from the unit was not possible) - and that would be a tiny increase in volume, presumably nowhere near enough to get back through the property's pipework 'into the public supply'?
My comments are based on my commercial premises work, i don't know how or if it relates to domestic work but I suspect there is little distinction between the two. I'm sure any requirement will either be incuded or included in the installation instructions.
For what it's worth, there is definitely no such requirement mentioned in the installation instructions of the heater I'm looking at, nor in any of the instructions for other similar items that I've looked at in recent days.

Maybe someone else can clarify whether (which would be a little surprising) anything in addition to that described in the products' installation manuals is actually required?

Finally, although I obviously understood, conceptually, 'what you meant', I think you may be using technically incorrect terminology. My understanding (which, as always, could be wrong!) is that "non-return valves" and "check valves" are, technically, two different things, and that when UK law/regulations require backflow prevention, the only acceptable devices for achieving it are check valves, not non-return valves. I'm sure someone will tell us if I'm wrong!

Kind Regards, John

Last edited:
Again, I don't really understand what you mean by 'latent heat' - a term which really only applies to situations such as 'phase transitions' (i.e. from solid to liquid or liquid to gas, or vice versa).

I will assume that you are referring to a vessel full of hot/heated water. However, in the sort of heater we're discussing, the nearest to a 'vessel' is the pipework within the heater, including that in the 'heat exchanger', which will have a very low volume (seemingly 0.35 litres in one I'm looking at).

As far as I can see, the only scope for 'backflow' would result from the expansion of that very small volume of water as it was heated from incoming to target temp (whilst outflow from the unit was not possible) - and that would be a tiny increase in volume, presumably nowhere near enough to get back through the property's pipework 'into the public supply'?

For what it's worth, there is definitely no such requirement mentioned in the installation instructions of the heater I'm looking at, nor in any of the instructions for other similar items that I've looked at in recent days.

Maybe someone else can clarify whether (which would be a little surprising) anything in addition to that described in the products' installation manuals is actually required?

Finally, although I obviously understood, conceptually, 'what you meant', I think you may be using technically incorrect terminology. My understanding (which, as always, could be wrong!) is that "non-return valves" and "check valves" are, technically, two different things, and that when UK law/regulations require backflow prevention, the only acceptable devices for achieving it are check valves, not non-return valves. I'm sure someone will tell us if I'm wrong!

Kind Regards, John
As far as I'm aware a check valve is only a non return valve whith a specific minimum pressure differential but in truth this isn't really my field of expertise to be able to quote chapter and verse. For example I know a check valve is fitted as a bypass in heating systems when motorised valves close to allow the pump to 'run on' until the boiler reaches a lower temp.

I've just done a very quick google search and it appears the required precautions apply when the hot total capacity of a pressurised water system including all pipework exceeds 15 litres (NRV, PRV/visible water discharge, overtemp cutout etc). However I've only skimmed the headinds and first few words on several articles.

As far as I'm aware a check valve is only a non return valve whith a specific minimum pressure differential but in truth this isn't really my field of expertise to be able to quote chapter and verse.
See below.
For example I know a check valve is fitted as a bypass in heating systems when motorised valves close to allow the pump to 'run on' until the boiler reaches a lower temp.
That is consistent with what I wrote. The rules/regulations/laws in relation to prevention of backflow into the public water supply network have no interest in what happens within heating systems, so it's perfectly OK to use a 'NVR', rather than a 'check valve', in that situation. That is confirmed by statements one finds on-line such as ...
Non-return valves are used in systems where it is desirable to make sure fluids flow mostly in one direction, but may not be critical, for example in pumped systems such as heating circuits.
If you ask Mr Google about this, you'll probably get driven mad (as was I), since it is apparent that 'everyone', from manufacturers through retailers to users tend to use the terms "non-return-valve" and "check valve" interchangeably - although it seems that they probably shouldn't, since one also finds seemingly more authoritative (apparently from 'a man at WRAS') information such as (click here) :
Many manufacturers, suppliers and installers use ‘non-return valve’ and ‘check valve’ to mean the same device, unaware that they are different and that there are legal requirements to only use check valves for backflow prevention. Steve Tuckwell from WRAS explains more. ....
Fundamentally, check valves (CVs) and non-return valves (NRVs) are different fittings and serve different purposes. Under UK plumbing regulations, the ‘check valve’ has a specific purpose as a device legally permitted to be used to prevent backflow in defined circumstances. The non-return valve, whilst useful for preventing reverse flow in pipes in many situations, is not a recognised backflow prevention device. There are different performance specifications for each type of device and non-return valves have to meet less demanding standards than check valves.

I've just done a very quick google search and it appears the required precautions apply when the hot total capacity of a pressurised water system including all pipework exceeds 15 litres (NRV, PRV/visible water discharge, overtemp cutout etc). However I've only skimmed the headinds and first few words on several articles.
That makes sense, although,as above, it looks as if, when such anti-backflow precautions are required, UK law/regulations requires it to be achieved by use of a "check valve", rather than a "non-return valve". In my situation, the volume (heater plus pipework) of the 'pressurised hot water system' would probably be no more than about 1 lrr at most.

I agree it's very confusing, but such terminological confusions are not unique to water/plumbing - we know, for example, that that the 'offical' meaning of "Low Voltage" differs dramatically from what the vast majority of the population believe it to mean!

Can someone who is water/plumbing-savvy confirm that what I've said above is correct?

Kind Regards, John

As far as I'm aware a check valve is only a non return valve whith a specific minimum pressure differential but in truth this isn't really my field of expertise to be able to quote chapter and verse. For example I know a check valve is fitted as a bypass in heating systems when motorised valves close to allow the pump to 'run on' until the boiler reaches a lower temp.

That is consistent with what I wrote. The rules/regulations/laws in relation to prevention of backflow into the public water supply network have no interest in what happens within heating systems, so it's perfectly OK to use a 'NVR', rather than a 'check valve', in that situation. That is confirmed by statements one finds on-line such as ..
No not quite, what is required is a non return valve with a distinct pressure setting, otherwise it could constantly bypass the motorised valve (or other position it's installed in). However Having just googled I see the device offered is generally a "By-Pass Differential Valve" although I know Check valves are used in this situation - as in my home CH system, I have also known of them being used as PRVs (Basically both can be similar items)
As I mentioned peviously a check valve is a NRV which opens at a specific pressure, all I've encountered are a ball seated closed by a spring, I know not what other designs exist, some NRV's are identical construction (even common parts). Back in 70's we manufactured NRVs to exactly this design using using spark plugs as the seat. Although there are many different designs for NRVs.
If you ask Mr Google about this, you'll probably get driven mad (as was I), since it is apparent that 'everyone', from manufacturers through retailers to users tend to use the terms "non-return-valve" and "check valve" interchangeably - although it seems that they probably shouldn't, since one also finds seemingly more authoritative (apparently from 'a man at WRAS') information such as (click here) :

That makes sense, although,as above, it looks as if, when such anti-backflow precautions are required, UK law/regulations requires it to be achieved by use of a "check valve", rather than a "non-return valve". In my situation, the volume (heater plus pipework) of the 'pressurised hot water system' would probably be no more than about 1 lrr at most.

I agree it's very confusing, but such terminological confusions are not unique to water/plumbing - we know, for example, that that the 'offical' meaning of "Low Voltage" differs dramatically from what the vast majority of the population believe it to mean!

Can someone who is water/plumbing-savvy confirm that what I've said above is correct?

Kind Regards, John
Having made my statements, much info just shared and identified makes a lot of sense, as I mentioned this is not my field of expertise despite working on significant heating systems controls containing these parts.

No not quite, what is required is a non return valve with a distinct pressure setting, otherwise it could constantly bypass the motorised valve (or other position it's installed in).
I think you're referring to what would normally be called a 'pressure relief valve", common in heating systems, and with no 'non-return' functionality really needed.

As I understand it, that's very different from a 'check valve' installed to prevent backflow. An ideal check valve would fully open when there was any pressure differential (no matter how small) across it in the 'forward direction', and certainly would be required (in order to prevent backflow) to fully close if there were any pressure differential in the ';reverse direction'.

Kind Regards, John

I think you're referring to what would normally be called a 'pressure relief valve", common in heating systems, and with no 'non-return' functionality really needed.
No I'm describing a bypass device shown here in red, the only purpose of which is to provide a route such that with the motorised valve closed the pump can continue to circulate water through the boiler until the latent heat is cooled sufficiently. It requires a pressure relieve type function, ideally a pressure differential function typically set to something in the order of 200 to500mbar otherwise the the bypass would be constantly open when the pump runs. A check valve is sometimes used.

1701390510385.png

As I understand it, that's very different from a 'check valve' installed to prevent backflow. An ideal check valve would fully open when there was any pressure differential (no matter how small) across it in the 'forward direction', and certainly would be required (in order to prevent backflow) to fully close if there were any pressure differential in the ';reverse direction'.

Kind Regards, John
All of the check valves I've encountered are spring loaded which means they cannot operate in the 'ideal' way you describe, there has to be some resistance to overcome and that setting may be part of the description/part number/spring type/setting etc. In the Plant rooms I'm accustomed to working in (very much not domestic) there are frequently spares and as I mentioned before there are common parts between check valves, NRVs, strainers etc.

Having written all of this I had another look at Google and as before there seems to be significant lack of distinction between the different types of valve, I see the same animations used to describe check and pressure relief valves which takes me back to common parts being used.

I'll say again - not my area of expertise. I don't think I have more to offer on the subject.

No I'm describing a bypass device shown here in red, the only purpose of which is to provide a route such that with the motorised valve closed the pump can continue to circulate water through the boiler until the latent heat is cooled sufficiently.
Indeed - that's what I was talking about, and common in heating systems.
It requires a pressure relieve type function, ideally a pressure differential function typically set to something in the order of 200 to500mbar otherwise the the bypass would be constantly open when the pump runs. ....
That's what I said - which is why they are commonly known as 'pressure relief valves - they open, and allow flow, if the pressure differential across them rises to a certain level.
..... A check valve is sometimes used.
As I said, a standard 'check valve' would not work in that situation because it would do the very thing you mention - i.e. "be constantly open whenever the pump runs"
All of the check valves I've encountered are spring loaded which means they cannot operate in the 'ideal' way you describe, there has to be some resistance to overcome ....
As I said, "Ideal" (aka "not achieved in the real world" :) However, although I suspce that most (all?) of the check valves we sre used to seeing/using probably do, indeed, have (weak) springs, that is not the only possible design, since some seemingly just have 'flaps' which, in the event of any attempted backflow, remain closed just by virtue of the 'back pressure ...
1701400994915.png

In any event, (weak) spring or not, and whatever one chooses to call it, an 'ideal' backflow-preventer would allow totally unimpaired forward flow no matter how low the 'forward pressure' (and zero backflow, no matter how high the 'back pressure') - so I would imagine that "check valves" get as close to that as they can (i.e. minimising the forward pressure needed to open) whilst still preventing backflow. That is very different from what you are talking about, which requires a very finite (and maybe adjustable) amount of forward pressure for it to open.

I've been hunting high and low for specifications of a check valve which indicate the 'opening pressure', and this is the only one I've found so far

1701402337620.png

... and I reckon that 0.013 bar (13 mbar) is not too far off the 'ideal' spec I mentioned for such a thing, and certainly not remotely suitable for the CH application you mentioned :)

Kind Regards, John

The style of check valve I've encountered are of this style:
1701444720377.jpeg
which by pure coincidence is from the site you linked to previously.

My first hit when googling for 'check valve pressure opening pressure'

While typing my search into google it offered this as a suggestion: '1 psi cracking pressure check valve'.

I'm finding it more difficult to identify any difference between the names check and non return valves.

The style of check valve I've encountered are of this style: ,image. ... which by pure coincidence is from the site you linked to previously.
Yep, same here - and it is one of that type for which I found the spec which indicted an opening pressure of 0.013 bar.

As I said, no other 'check valves' for which I could find specs gave any information about opening pressure.

I don't think you'll find anything described as a 'check valve' which has any means of 'adjusting' anything.
While typing my search into google it offered this as a suggestion: '1 psi cracking pressure check valve'.
That would be about 0.07 bar - I presume far too low for the CH application you mentioned?
I'm finding it more difficult to identify any difference between the names check and non return valves.
Quite so. It's totally confused, and it's clear that a high proportion of people, from manufacturers downwards, are using the terms interchangeably.

However, it's worse than that, since there are some frank contradictions in what one finds on-line. For example, on one hand we have 'the man from WRAS' (as I quoted early on) asserting that only "check valves" (and not "non-return valves") are acceptable under UK law for backflow prevention, yet I have found another opinion that, for backflow prevention, 'check valves' are a 'cheap alternative' to the more expensive and 'better' non-return valves! ... so goodness knows what the truth is.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back