Temporary use of electric 'instant' water heater

If people of your intellectual prowess can't work out how to insulate a bath well enough to resist a short term heat loss like that, there ain't much hope for the regulars

Insulating a bath, to prevent heat loss, may prove to be a quite major job, much of the underside of my bath is inaccessible.

Sponsored Links
Dare say it'd be worth doing though if you like a long soak in the tub..

If people of your intellectual prowess can't work out how to insulate a bath well enough to resist a short term heat loss like that, there ain't much hope for the regulars
A possible amount of heat loss during a protracted period of 'bath filling' is only a secondary issue - it's the 'protracted period of filling' itself which is the main issue.

Anyway, this tangential discussion is irrelevant to my thread. I have absolutely no intention of attempting to fill a bath during the brief temporary period whilst the only hot water available is that coming from a 10 kW instant heater, and even less inclination to insulate the bath for thst purpose.

In any event, I strongly suspect that the great majority of the heat loss would be from the surface (and from the water falling from the tap), so your suggestion would probably not even achieve a lot unless it included putting an 'insulated lid' over the bath whilst it was being (slowly) filled!

If it’s temporary then fit electric shower unit and accept that baths are out for a while , a kettle at the kitchen sink will cope with washing up .
I've certainly "accepted that baths are out for a while" (quite probably 'for ever' - it's a very long time since I last had a bath!).

However, this is a DIY forum. I agree that the simplest temporary solution would be to install an electric shower (and that would be adequate for my temporary needs) but, unless I were happy to break the law (and discuss that here!) I would have to pay someone to do that (since it would make no sense to pay notification fees for such a small job) - whereas I am free to install an instant water heater, 'legally', even if it were only a few inches outside of the room which 'contained the shower'. The laws/rules are not necessarily all that logical.

My approach is obviously also a bit more 'convenient' - since, although I could obviously manage with kettles etc., it would be more convenient, even temporarily,to have hot water available from the hot taps of sinks/basins.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Tip: polystyrene floats
;)
As I said, it's probably many years since I last 'took a bath', and I would probably be even less inclined to change that in the future if 'taking a bath' became somewhat of a 'mission' :)
Totally agree. Sooo, why not take the Nike approach and just do it?
As I said before some of the subsequent distractions showed their faces, that's precisely what I'm going to do (at least, try!) but, given the time of year and various other calls on my time,it may well be a few weeks before I can get around to doing it!

As I said before some of the subsequent distractions showed their faces, that's precisely what I'm going to do (at least, try!) but, given the time of year and various other calls on my time,it may well be a few weeks before I can get around to doing it!

Another tip - what works in summer, may not work so well in winter :)

Tip: polystyrene floats
.... I should perhaps have added - anyone considering going to such lengths to minimise loss of heat from water in a bath might find their time more usefully occupied by considering the (environmental and financial, and maybe even 'hygiene') benefits of taking showers rather than baths!

Another tip - what works in summer, may not work so well in winter :)
Obviously true, but I imagine (but do not know) that the variation in cold water supply temp probably does not vary all that dramatically from season to season, does it?

Kind Regards, John

Obviously true, but I imagine (but do not know) that the variation in cold water supply temp probably does not vary all that dramatically from season to season, does it?

Kind Regards, John

It can do, depending on the source of water, how deeply buried, whether from a water tower or pumped.

It can do, depending on the source of water, how deeply buried, whether from a water tower or pumped.
I'm sure those are all relevant factors, but I have no idea as to how they apply in relation to either my home or the property I'm talking about.

All I know, in a very rough perceptive sense, is that I cannot say that I have noticed (when feeling it) any dramatic variation in the temperature of cold water in my house (or any other I've lived in).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back