Tempory roof struts

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am putting in some temporary roof struts to support a purlin, as gable is coming down to be rebuilt.The struts are sitting on floor plate which is supported by 47x 200 c24 floor joists.
Looking at the existing strut it is has one long seat cut which it sits on a upstairs supporting wall plate.
As i have give my self a wall plate on top of my floor joists i was thinking i could cut a birds mouth into my strut which would give my strut more rigidity. see picture. Rather than cutting a birds mouth like you would for a common rafter i have sort of done the reverse.
When i first cut it i had in my head the 2 thirds rule see picture, but then after looking at it i realised it didn't have enough of a seat cut so i increased it to half.

I am a bit ocd when it comes to wood working i like to know i am doing a job right so if anyone has an suggestions all comments i would much appreciate it.
Thanks
Strut.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back