Tenting roof temporaryly

You haven't said how you intend to hold up the tarp.
On roofed scaffolds the span is normally bridged by ladder beams (and if the covering is corrugated sheeting then specfic clips are off the shelf) which is where the expense is coming from and may include the hire of a crane for the day to assist erection.
As you are attempting this without that cost you will need to consider something else. Is it possible for instance to build one side or end of the roof at a time? Yes I know it's a pain in the blunt end and slows the job but I've had to do something similiar before now. The main plus point of attaching the tarp to the roof members rather than the scaffold is to avoid all that extra work and expense to the scaffold itsself.

I had another scaffolder come around today he could use corrucated sheeting and would take one week to put scaffold up including roof and sheeting to sides but his quote was £4000 and wanted some cash for part of it!! The difficulty not having roof over the house is that the old roof has to come off first leaving us with no roof till trusses up so can cover roof with tarp and the danger of leaks ,we have so far had only two carpentry quotes both not keen having to use tarps.

Sponsored Links
SurreyRoofingEstimator";p="2022504 said:
Just looking at the size of the tarp you've found, have you taken into consideration the measure down the pitches of the roof as well as the floor plan size?[/quote

Not sure how this would work thinking about it now. One scaffolding company suggested shrink wrap around he is coming around on monday I do not think this is going to be any cheaper somehow. I never thought it would be cheap job .

In the old days you'd use tarpaulins with little sandbags round the edge to hold them down. £5K is just plain stupid. Ask him how long it would take him then ask him how he arrived at that ridiculous hourly rate.

What hourly rate?

Temporary roofs are indeed expensive but it will allow work to be carried out whatever the weather so some of that cost would be clawed back in time saving

I had another quote today for scaffolding £950 and for temporary roof which would take two weeks to put up at a cost of £6700 ,cost effective NOT. It is too expensive.He said he would give good price .for himself!

Sponsored Links
I'm probably a bit late here I'd meant to post earlier, but if you haven't started your roof maybe this is an idea.
Before you take the roof off erect a pair of "goalpost" type of structures inside the roofspace , they only need to be around 4 foot high or so although if you gauge it right with a plank or two sat ontop the joiners will be able to reach the ridgeboard.
Take the roof off and attach tarps to the goalposts and drape over the walls using blocks tied to the tarps to hold them down or fix batterns to do the same job. This can then be easily rolled back to work on your roof .I'm assuming that the roof is a conventinial cut roof rather than a trussed rafter affair.
When your wallplates and rafters start going in cut the tarp around each rafter and secure with batterns and screws. In addition I'd also lay a sheet of plastic over the ceiling joists ,something like visqueen, to catch any drips. Might not be 100% but it will do the job.
Treat the tarps as completely expendable as they will cut in loads of places whenm you've finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back