Terminal Block Current Question

As I posted on a previous thread the accepted current ratings for small flex are weird, based on the heat dissipation argument one would expect sublinear increases with size but we actually see superlinear increases. I don't think accepted current ratings are tabulated for fixed wiring cables below 1mm.
Indeed - as I've just said. The figures for flex are, indeed, weird, and maybe reflect 'usage' (mechanical stresses), which probably has more impact as the cable gets smaller - so I'm ignoring them!
When I tried to analyse things from first principles I got a power law with a power of 0.75. Comparing with BS7671 current ratings showed that the BS7671 ratings were more sublinear than that. I didn't go as far as trying to fit a power law to the BS7671 ratings but I would be interested in the results if anyone does try.
I'm on the case - watch this space!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
When I tried to analyse things from first principles I got a power law with a power of 0.75. Comparing with BS7671 current ratings showed that the BS7671 ratings were more sublinear than that. I didn't go as far as trying to fit a power law to the BS7671 ratings but I would be interested in the results if anyone does try.
A power law curve (with a power of 0.6077) fits the Table 4D5 Method C CCCs (1mm² - 16mm²) almost perfectly - see graph (line is power curve, red points are 4D5 figures) and tabulation. So, if we go with extrapolation based on that power curve, the answer to BAS's question is that 7 separate 0.57mm² conductors in parallel probably have a total CCC of around 78.4A (7 x 11.2A), as compared with 37A for a 4mm² conductor.

Kind Regards, John

...So, if we go with extrapolation based on that power curve, the answer to BAS's question is that 7 separate 0.57mm² conductors in parallel probably have a total CCC of around 78.4A (7 x 11.2A), as compared with 37A for a 4mm² conductor.
I probably should have added that, in practice, it would not be very practical to exploit this. To get that 78A CCC would require the 7 separate 0.57mm² conductors to be appreciably physically separated. If they were 'grouped' together, the consequent de-rating factor would get one back to much closer to the 4mm² CCC - which I suppose makes sense.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
a suitable rated connector is needed.
Quite so - the OP got his answer (plus a hint at a 'pragmatic variant'!) early on. It was the OP that raised the question about using connectors in parallel because of 'surface area' considerations, which the OP thought was something which applied to conductors in general.

Kind Regards, John

I did not expect to learn more than I should in the replies, especially the first few and John's, have helped me tremendously. Apparently from the actual contact connection itself, to solid or stranded conductors mattered. Sincere gratitude.

I did not expect to learn more than I should in the replies, especially the first few and John's, have helped me tremendously. Apparently from the actual contact connection itself, to solid or stranded conductors mattered. Sincere gratitude.
You're welcome. As I recently wrote, you really got the answer you wanted/needed very quickly, and within the first two or three replies. The rest can be put down to 'wider curiosity/education' :)

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back