Terminating Armoured cable for future use

Sponsored Links
With reference to Jupiter's MCBs:

"...and take an hour at 1.45 x In. with differing times in between"

So they may (are allowed to) do as I said.

I am glad that is all you found in my post to criticise.

With reference to Jupiter's MCBs:

"...and take an hour at 1.45 x In. with differing times in between"

So they may (are allowed to) do as I said.

I am glad that is all you found in my post to criticise.
I never stated that they were not allowed to. I stated that there is no requirement for them to do so.

Sponsored Links
I presume this was necessary as the SWA could not be bent 90 degrees and glanded to the top of the CU?
Does the conduit going off to the left connect to an adaptable box where the gland is?
No that was just a power circuit in an outbuilding all done in plastic conduit, just posting as an example of where something doesn't line up. It had nothing to do with a SWA.

I agree that it's a difficult, and fairly unique, situation.

In most senses, it is far from a case of someone 'fiddling about irresponsibly'. On the contrary, he seems almost obsessed with a desire to learn how to do things properly/safely, sometimes to the extent of being concerned about very 'trivial' (even if theoretically valid) details over which many/most would not loose any sleep. The only real issue, which several of us have pointed out to him, is that he is not really going about things 'in the right order', in that he needs to gain a good understanding of underlying electrical principles etc. before he starts try to learn about their practical application.
Agreed
I, as a non-electrician, have to be careful about what I say, but I'm sure that it is (unfortunately) the case that some (practising') present day "electricians" have no more (maybe even less!) understanding of the theoretical 'basics' than does him. That does not 'justify' anything, but is an observation.
I'll be honest and say some of the young 'fully qualilied' electricians scare the s**t out of me with their total lack of understanding of simple thing like calculating current etc
As for how we should react to this situation, some (perhaps partially including yourself) have seemingly decided that they don't feel comfortable 'getting involved', and I can understand that. Personally, I feel that it is very probable that he would continue doing (or trying to do) what he is doing, with or without input/assistance from anyone here (or elsewhere), such that to try to assist (whilst also repeatedly reminding him of the need to learn about 'the basics') is probably the lesser of the evils. In adopting that approach, I am somewhat reassured by the fact that he does seem to have a fairly good understanding of 'safe practices' whilst he is working.

However, as said, it's quite a 'difficult' situation.

Kind Regards, John
I have made fairly similar comments several times in his other threads.
I have nothing per se against DIY electrical work, I've certainly encounterd such that puts many professionals work t shame, which is why I assist in this forum. However I'll also express my opinion of calling in a 'pro' when I believe they are out of their depth. I believe J01 thinks he is capable of more than he actually is but it is blatantly obvious he has no intention of taking a step back hence my agreement in the highlighted above.

I agree that it's not very 'nice', but, for what it's worth (and presumably like bernard), I'm personally inclined to think that it might be the lesser of evils if the alternative is to attach an SWA gland to a flimsy plastic CU.

Kind Regards, John
There is no point in adding a brass gland when terminating into a plastic enclosure, there are a number of other methods of making a connexion to the armour as has been discussed in this forum on a number of ocassions in the past. The SWA can enter an enclorure in the same way as any other cable.

Additionally having such an arrangement at the load end of the SWA can introduce potentially dangerous situations.

Indeed, and I think many of us have, over the years.
I have nothing per se against DIY electrical work, I've certainly encounterd such that puts many professionals work t shame, which is why I assist in this forum. However I'll also express my opinion of calling in a 'pro' when I believe they are out of their depth. I believe J01 thinks he is capable of more than he actually is ...
I will never stop reminding him that he really needs to get to grips with the theoretical 'basics' but, as far as what he is actually doing, he is so quick to ask (us) about the smallest of details that I'm a fair bit less concerned than I might otherwise be. "Being out of one's depth" usually implies a lack of awareness of "when one needs to ask for advice" - and "asking" is not something which he is slow to do!
but it is blatantly obvious he has no intention of taking a step back hence my agreement in the highlighted above.
Yes, non-ideal but, as we've both implied, and at least in my opinion, probably 'pragmatic' (lesser of evils'). A

Kind Regards, John

There is no point in adding a brass gland when terminating into a plastic enclosure, there are a number of other methods of making a connexion to the armour as has been discussed in this forum on a number of ocassions in the past. The SWA can enter an enclorure in the same way as any other cable.
That's all true, but I'm not sure that many people actually do that, do they?
Additionally having such an arrangement at the load end of the SWA can introduce potentially dangerous situations.
I would suspect that the 'need' for such an approach is probably appreciably less common at the load end, but what situations did you have in mind?

Kind Regards, John

can't believe you do not even know that.
Agreed

I'll be honest and say some of the young 'fully qualilied' electricians scare the s**t out of me with their total lack of understanding of simple thing like calculating current etc

I have nothing per se against DIY electrical work, I've certainly encounterd such that puts many professionals work t shame, which is why I assist in this forum. However I'll also express my opinion of calling in a 'pro' when I believe they are out of their depth. I believe J01 thinks he is capable of more than he actually is but it is blatantly obvious he has no intention of taking a step back hence my agreement in the highlighted above.
Thanks guys. I appreciate your support and guidance. Think I’ve said that I’m working my way through the on site guide.
I am one to obsessively research something before I get into it. I don’t feel like I am out of my depth and am usually a good judge of that. I take safety very seriously and have now made reasonably investment in tools, but I have no intention of stepping back from everything other than a light bulb change and calling in a “electrician” for everything else.

I enjoy the thought and skill that goes into designing and troubleshooting a circuit.

Now that doesn’t mean that I am being big headed or think I know it all or any other criticism you may now throw my way!

Thanks again

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I appreciate your support and guidance. Think I’ve said that I’m working my way through the on site guide.
I am one to obsessively research something before I get into it. I don’t feel like I am out of my depth and am usually a good judge of that. I take safety very seriously and have now made reasonably investment in tools, but I have no intention of stepping back from everything other than a light bulb change and calling in a “electrician” for everything else.

I enjoy the thought and skill that goes into designing and troubleshooting a circuit.

Now that doesn’t mean that I am being big headed or think I know it all or any other criticism you may now throw my way!

Thanks again
I can think of at least 5 others on here who will say you are out of your depth.
However your tenacity in your approach is the main reason I (and I hope I speak for the others) have not made that statement. The mere fact you mention the OSG ticks one box which usually remains unticked. The effort shown on your practice board has helped too.

I will mention your work at anothers property does raise eyebrows though.

Shouldn't the OSG only be read if one is knowledgeable enough to be able to realise its mistakes and limitations?
I suppose one might say that :)

However, many of the problems with the OSG is that it tends to be 'conservative', seemingly inventing 'rules' that don't exist in the actual regs - so, in those cases, one would probably be 'erring on the side of conservatism/safety' by only knowing what the OSG said.

I'm probably missing some things, but off the top of my head I can't think of anything that would be 'less safe' (or 'more dangerous') if one followed the OSG, 'without knowing any better', can you?

Kind Regards, John

No, I can't. I think that is its purpose.

Having accepted what you say, though, one must surely agree that it is, therefore, not a teaching/learning publication.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back