Terminating tools for SWA cable - what do you use ?

I have updated the wiki here: //www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:swa-gland
Any comments good or bad appreciated.

That's as clear as a new windscreen and very easy to follow.

The only minor comments (well you asked :LOL: )

I prefer to strip the outer sheath 3x the knurl so the armour sits better.

You may have missed the rotation instuctions which splays the armour perfectly for the gland.

Minor points

Sponsored Links
Thanks, I'll pop the twirl thing in. I needed to keep the armour pretty short for the seal to work in the top, I should maybe have used a non watertight gland?

those bladerunner things work great.. got one myself and just got the work to order 7 more.. ( 1 each for all the sparkies.. )

for the inner I use a joakari wire stripper.. it's designed for flex so does the same job for the inner...

Thanks, I'll pop the twirl thing in. I needed to keep the armour pretty short for the seal to work in the top, I should maybe have used a non watertight gland?

Sorry S123, my mistake, 3x is only good for internal. As you say, the rubber olive clamps on the outer sheath so 1 (and bit) for external.

Sponsored Links
I always leave at least an inch of inner core sheathing on above gland as well just for protecting when coming into the enclosure its going into.

No one that I can see has mentioned putting the gland onto the cable as well before splaying the armourings, always a good idea to put the outer part of the gland on before splaying the armourings.

I always leave at least an inch of inner core sheathing on above gland as well just for protecting when coming into the enclosure its going into.

No one that I can see has mentioned putting the gland onto the cable as well before splaying the armourings, always a good idea to put the outer part of the gland on before splaying the armourings.

Good idea at least you see its not damaged then.
I for some reason strip it first.
Then if needed I use insulation tape around the armouring to hold tight again, slide all the parts on , then remove the tape again
Dont know why I do it that way though
I also bind all the cores loosely together with tape before pushing through say a 20 mm hole, makes it easier and prevents gouging the cable on the hole edge.
Simply remove the tape after.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back