Termination of SWA on distant end of TT supply

I suppose that need is probably the wrong word to use there but I would definately remove it if I was doing the install.
It serves no purpose as has already been mentioned the OCPD at the origin of the SWA will provide ADS in the event of a fault, and all the RCD does is provide a remote point of failure in the event of a fault.
At least it's time delayed, so it shouldn't ever trip, but I'd still do away with it anyway.
Yes, I agree with all that, with just the one caveat that usually applies to removal of redundant RCDs - particularly given that it's time-delayed, and therefore shouldn't ever operate, in some situations it can be useful to retain it as a means of isolation.

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links
The 3 rods provided the main earth, and the metallic grid was bonded to keep the concrete at the same potential as all the parlour metalwork and milking equipment.
I can't remember the exact figures, but connecting the bonding to the grid did lower the figure a bit to 2 ohms, so i suppose my Ze was actually a bit higher than 2Ω (But not a huge amount IIRC).
You may have missed a trick there! I think 542.2.1 would probably have allowed you to claim that the grid was a deliberate part of the earth electrode system, thereby keeping your Ze at 2Ω.

Kind Regards, John.

No, it formed part of the supplementary equipotential bonding arrangement as per 705.415.2.1 :LOL:

No, it formed part of the supplementary equipotential bonding arrangement as per 705.415.2.1 :LOL:
I'm sure it did, but in terms of gaining tricks, as I said you could probably have claimed that it was a deliberate part of an earth electrode system, per 542.2.1 :)

Kind Regards, John.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back