terminology, negative applied , negative removed etc

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can someone please help me understand the terminology involved when triggering outputs
Driving me batty
i have a alarm panel with negative remove outputs on trigger header
i have a gsm dialler with negative remove inputs or positive remove inputs
selectable via a jumper

can these be interfaced together directly?? how?
or does a relay have to be utilised

what is the negative remove output ?? open collector transistor???
could anyone help with a diagram??

galant honeywell panel
risco agm universal gsm dialler

thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, it's an open collector output.

For 'negative removed', the output will be held low/negative until the output becomes active, whereupon it will float - the negative is removed. The 'negative applied' simply works the other way round with the output going negative when it is active (or, in Honeywell-speak, energised).

Traditionally, negative removed was used to trigger digi's and RedCare STUs.

With pull-up resistors, negative removed becomes positive applied - but that's just confusing!! :LOL: If in doubt, use your multimeter...

aaahh thanks for that explanation
i even get the positive applied bit with a large value resistor to pull the 12v high when negative removed (after researching it for so long) :eek:

so in my case to interface the risco agm dialer and galant panel

would the negative remove work straight up between the two pieces of equipment
or would i have to use relay u reckon?

Sponsored Links
I don't know the Risco dialler... I think it will be okay without the relay. Remember to reference the 0V i.e. Make sure that the Galant and the Risco are using the same negative (or power the dialler from the panel).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back