Help Wiring Novagard 6 & Powermax+

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Experts.

I have an issue which I’m hoping you can help with. Basically, I recently fitted a new alarm which went pretty smoothly. The next stage was to fix the external sounder, and that’s where i’m struggling a little.

I have:

• Risco NovaGard 6 External Sounder (with LED’s and Strobe)
• Visonic Powermax+ Alarm

The issue is just how I connect the wires between the 2 units. I’ve given it a go, but seem to be way off the mark, as not even the LED’s are flashing.

The powermax+ alarm panel guide can be found here (http://www.jclautomation.com/docs/73900ug.pdf) – page 6.

The External sounder is this one (http://www.sourcesecurity.com/docs/fullspec/Nova6-bro%29%5B1%5D.pdf) but that doesn’t contain the full info required, so I’ve typed out what’s in the paper manual:

BAT+ (Connections for Ni-MH Battery)
BAT- Connections for Ni-MH Battery)
0V (The negative supply to this terminal should be permanent as it is the – hold off for the SAB/SCB function.)
+12V (The supply to this terminal is normally taken from the bell+ of the control panel (depending on manufacturer) and provides the + hold off for the SAB/SCB function)
S- (Negative trigger for the sounder. If JP1 is set for SAB, power for the sounder is derived from the 12V and0V terminals. If JP1 is set for SCB, power for the sounder is derived from the onboard battery. When used in serial mode this terminals will be used as a data input)
TMPR (Negative tamper return to the control panel. When used in serial mode this terminal will be used as a data input)
STR- (Negative trigger for the strobe light Power for the strobe is derived from the 12V IN & 0V IN terminals)
TMPF In standard mode (non NovActive) this terminal must always be linked to 0V)
FLT (Terminal will activate (0V low) in the event of a battery fault or low panel volts)
SET+ (A positive signal to this terminal will activate the setting confirmation sound. Note: for this feature to be enabled, the address jumper A3 must be in position)

I’m having to borrow some ladders to fit this, and so there’s no great rush to get it working, but i’m hoping (snow permitting) to wire it up at the weekend.

I’m sure it can’t be that difficult, but it really has me stumped! Any help would be much appreciated, and if there's some standard wire colors that I should adhere to, that would be cool too :)

Many thanks,

Regards,

Dave.

Sponsored Links
Powermax+ has a wirless bell if you buy the kit.

You can add another SAB but watch the ma consumption.

So
Batt+
Batt-
Are fed by the onboard battery (sounder unit)
0v is from -hold on page 6
+12vdc is from +12 (either pair on page 6 )
Strobe is from INT
Use zone 29 or 30 as the tamper remembering to use the resistors supplied. At the sounder end not at the panel. Also using a common ground for the hard neg return, its all there in the diagram.
Cannot advise much more. The diagram is pretty easy to follow.

Its really easy if you look at it and read the instructions. Remember these are written for americans. Even if it is not made there.

PS use PGM as a strobe set if you wish, but it will **** of your neigbours and you in the end when they keep asking why the sounder flashes when you leave the property.
Also again....the system talks to you, why want strobe set comformation?
Hell it even phones you.

Thank you 'Alarm' for that reply, my first question should really have been, is it possible to use these 2 items, but it seems you can, phew. I think i understand about running the tamper from 29/30 but am a little unsure on a couple of other bits, I'll have a go tonight when i get home and let you know how I get on!

Much appreciated.

Regards,

Dave.

Hey ‘Alarm’,

Thanks so much for your help so far. Turns out the cat5 cable I was using for testing had a break in it, which didn’t help matters.

Anyway, so far it seems to work pretty well, I’ve got it wired as follows:

The NovaGard manual states that (TMPF – In standard mode [non NovActive] this terminal must always be linked to 0V), so that’s the green wire, I’m not really sure why this is the case, but I guess I should do this too?

I’ve also changed the PM+ settings so that INT is used for the strobe.

I see now how zone 29 will be used as the tamper on the box. As it seems to work right now, if you open the box, the tamper sounds the alarm, but now I need to tell the pm+ that the tamper has been activated and so set off the alarm there too. I’m assuming I run something from the TMPR out to the pm+ somewhere, but I’m not exactly sure what needs to go to what, and where the resistor needs to sit.

Also, what type should zone 29 be set to, interior? And I’ve got it down as CUSTOM1 for the name, can I edit that to read EXTERNAL SOUNDER, or is there a better way to do it?

PS, I don’t think I particularly want the strobe going off each time its armed either, save it for emergency’s, else people will likely ignore it I guess.

Sponsored Links
Ext needs to be connected to S-
That will then activate the sounder.

Use zone 29 or 30 programmed as custom as you say wire into TMPF and TMPR return programmed as 24hr audible.
Wire it as shown page 6 right hand top

Job done.

Good afternoon.

Sorry for the delayed reply but ive been snowed under lately.

I finally had a chance to test it all out and its almost there.
I have the tamper on zone 29 and that seems to work perfectly

The only problem i have now, is that when i disarm the system, the external sounder goes off for one second. With the S- -> EXT not connected this doesnt happen, but then when the alarm is activated from the control panel the external sound does not sound, so thats no good.

Any ideas why this might happen and how i can stop it please?

This is the current, almost working setup:

Regards,

Dave.

Your not using a return leg to the zone. So it sees a tamper!
Follow the diagram on page 6 top right. Zone without tamper.
I know the terminology is strange but you must see from your latest diagram you have not completed the circuit.

Your not using a return leg to the zone. So it sees a tamper!
Follow the diagram on page 6 top right. Zone without tamper.
I know the terminology is strange but you must see from your latest diagram you have not completed the circuit.

Its very odd, if i arm/disarm via the keypad, everything if fine, how ever if i disarm using the remote, thats when the external sounder sounds for 1 second. when i arm and when i disarm, which leads me to think its a pm+ config issue, although i have no idea what exactly?

I have tried your suggestion, although the same happens. also if i replace the resistor between z29 and GND (effectively disabling tamper) the exact same thing happens?

Turn off, siren when set.

Sorry if this sounds silly, but where is that option please? Im assuming its in the pm+ somewhere, but i cant for the life of me find it? as its only happening with the remotes, ive also looked in the keyfob section, but cant seem to find anything?

Thanks ever so much for your help btw. Hopefully i wont have to annoy my neighbours much longer with the sound of the alarm going off. :)

Got it, its called the SQUAWK option on the PM+, disabling this stopped the annoying noise!

Thanks for your help with this.

Cheers,

Dave.

Thanks.

Nice to see you went to another site and got the same info as I gave you.
Good being consistant isnt it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back