Terraced house - how big a job is removing a chimney breast

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

We're in the process of completing on a mid-terraced house.

The chimneys have all been closed up with the exception of one that used to hold an old coal boiler and now holds a freestanding gas boiler (about the size of a dishwasher). None of the chimneys actually extend out beyond roof level.

We're planning to have a combi boiler fitted and would ideally like to reclaim some floor space in this room by getting rid of the chimney breast. Is this usually even possible in a terraced house (I'm guessing the next door house might share some of this chimney? Is it a terrible idea?

Photo of the room in question for reference (realise it would also need removing on the levels above or some sort of beam/support installing if not)

Appreciate any thoughts on the feasibility.

Thanks,
Steve

Screenshot%202022-04-11%20at%2020.45.54.png

Sponsored Links
Your image has not loaded - but my instincts tell me this is a bad idea. It’s a lot of work. Adds no value to the house. Could open a can of worms structurally and the amount of sooty dust and crap that is going to find it’s way into everything you own.

However my main issue is that chimneys are original features and I always think we should be protecting and preserving any and all original features we can in older properties. Chimneys in particular lend a home a coziness, a focal point to a room. I know you said it no longer goes through roof etc but it could still be recommissioned in the future to house a wood burner etc.

It’s your home though - do what you like. Everything is possible!

Imo Chimneys are useless and a waste of space in a modern efficient home.

Recently removed mine during a refurb. Ours was not shared.

If mine was shared, I'd keep the stack, get a builder to support the chimney in the loft, then remove the chimney breast.

It can be dusty, dirty work. We had to rebuild the wall and flooring area.

All worth it in the end

Party Wall Act applies.

Building regulations required.

Have the neighbours removed their breast? Could limit options for support.

The infill between flues and the beasts can just fall out. Hello neighbours o_O

Sponsored Links
As above so much space is wasted with chimney breasts but some like them, personally I don’t.

you need a party wall agreement , building regs and a structural engineer .

you will have to decide where to remove it from ie loft, first floor down or just downstairs.

you also have to consider with the SE to use rsj’s or gallows brackets which need fabricating. You will need to contact your council o see if they allow gallows brackets as some areas don’t.

whatever the height of the stack is outside will have to be the same inside before your supports are in. This is to spread the weight for stability.

would also be worth knocking on next door to see if they have had theirs removed or still use the chimney. If they have gallows brackets you will have to use a rsj

may also be worth asking if your neighbours are planing on removing theirs as if they are removing the shared stack and tiling the patch in the roof will be cheaper and better
Jake

That looks a very shallow chimney breast so be careful. My last house had one very similar and I discovered that the projection into my front room was actually the rear of next doors chimney. So there was nothing I could do to it. Conversely our chimney in the rear room projected into their rear room by the same amount we had of theirs in our front.

Jake, it's many years since I saw an episode of Peppa so don't recall that one. :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back