Terraced house, water pouring down both apex walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys,
I have a terraced house with a fire wall at each end going up through the roof.
Inside the roof space I have water pouring down one wall from about half way down the roof and another wall is very similar. One wall I had the soakers refitted and the Parapet covered with felt 2 years ago and now I can see that wall is wet again.
So the rest of the roof is good, it was recovered about 7 years ago.
So my question.... can water landing on a parapet wall soak into the brickwork to a point where it would be saturated and actually drip out of the rocks below or is it more likely to be the Soakers at fault ??
Thanks guys, see pic 20240117_155009.jpg

Attachments

• 20240117_155008.jpg
    20240117_155008.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 20240117_155004.jpg
    20240117_155004.jpg
    215.4 KB · Views: 67
Sponsored Links
I'm no roofer... but.
Could it be the top of the chimney? What state is that in?

Hi Matty, the top of the chimney is really good and there is no water or damp below the chimney. It's all down the sides so I'm thinking it's the Parapet walls or the soakers.
Thanks for replying

It may be an optical illusion but in your 2nd pic the top edge of the lower cover flashing seems to be poking out underneath the higher cover flashing.

Sponsored Links
Thanks you, I've been up there today and had a close look, it all looks really good I can't understand where the water is coming from

All that greenery poking out by the cover flashing may not be helping- if there is soil buildup under the slates the soakers could overflow. Green tinge to the chimney says there's lots of water coming down there as well- possibly getting under the felt/whatever is covering the coping stones and causing your water feature.

Thank you, that makes sense about the soil overloading the soakers. Much appreciated.
There is also this big crack down the Parapet wall, could this cause lots of water to pour down the surface inside? I guess if water gets in it has to go somewhere.
Thank you, comments appreciated

Parapet walls are a regular source of leaks and should be well maintained to avoid damp problems, yours looks like it need work.I would not be happy with felt as a covering.

Had the experts out yesterday and they said most likely the cracks in the Parapet wall but it's possible the soakers are not wide enough.
So I'm just waiting for a quote. They said they fix OSB3 to the wall and then torch on 2 layers of felt. These guys look really good unlike the ones we had before that stuck 1 layer of felt on with spray adhesive. I went up to check it the day after installation just before paying and a big piece had already come unstuck.
Cheers guys for the input

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back