Terracotta tiless, concreted to floor??

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have a terracotta floor in my old Victorian house.

I don't think it's original but it's seen better days. The tiles are still all in one piece and would look fine if they were cleaned and resealed. However, the grout is filthy and it makes the floor look very grubby.

I've tried scrubbing the grout but it doesn't shift at all, and it's extremely hard. I'm starting to wonder if the 'grout' is really grout and if it's some sort of concrete mix, it really is that solid.

Could the entire floor be concreted to the base? In the areas where the grout has been covered and is clean it's a sandy colour, not sure if that helps identify it.

Any idea what the grout may be and how to clean/remove it?

My second question is, if it is concrete to the base, how do I remove the entire floor, which ideally I'd like to do?

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Hi, I have a terracotta floor in my old Victorian house.

I don't think it's original but it's seen better days. The tiles are still all in one piece and would look fine if they were cleaned and resealed. However, the grout is filthy and it makes the floor look very grubby.

I've tried scrubbing the grout but it doesn't shift at all, and it's extremely hard. I'm starting to wonder if the 'grout' is really grout and if it's some sort of concrete mix, it really is that solid.

Could the entire floor be concreted to the base? In the areas where the grout has been covered and is clean it's a sandy colour, not sure if that helps identify it.

Any idea what the grout may be and how to clean/remove it?

My second question is, if it is concrete to the base, how do I remove the entire floor, which ideally I'd like to do?

Many thanks in advance.

maybe the tiles were set on a cement slurry, maybe just adhesive, if you want to lift your floor its a case of elbow grease, yours or someone elses :LOL:

If you really like the floor and want to keep it, get a tile fixer in to strip, re-grout and seal the floor, it should then look as good as the day it was first layed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back