Terrible loft convertion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am trying to improve a rather terrible loft conversion before selling my house.

It currently isn't insulated and there is no felt under the tiles. It seems as though there is paster board covered a thin layer of polystyrene (about 3 mm) between the tiles and tong and groove.

Any suggestion on the easiest /cheapest way to insulate the roof.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Bojgit said:
Hi
I am trying to improve a rather terrible loft conversion before selling my house.

It currently isn't insulated and there is no felt under the tiles. It seems as though there is paster board covered a thin layer of polystyrene (about 3 mm) between the tiles and tong and groove.

Any suggestion on the easiest /cheapest way to insulate the roof.

Cheers

Well it's not a loft conversion, and probably is never likely to be for selling purposes. You can't just whack some insulation and a light in and call it an extra bedroom. Do the structure of the floor and stairs meet building regulations? If they don't then just leave the room as is and call it a 'storage area' when you come to sell.

Yes the stair case and vleux window meets building regs, just need to insulate it.

In reality the only thing that'll prove it was done correctly/show that any bodges have been properly rectified is that lil' certificate from building control (and a good thing too, why should some innocent punter get landed with a pile of ol' doodoo). Get them out and find out exactly what they want you to do to get your 'retrospective approval'. Its no good trying to pull the wool over their eyes, they can insist you open up floor voids/partitions/roofs etc especially if it seems a bit dodgy. Who bodged it up in the first place?

Sponsored Links
freddymercurystwin said:
Who bodged it up in the first place?

His name might give you a clue ;)

It could just be a half finished proper conversion, in which case going to extra mile to finish it will pay off. But I'll second your opinion, no paperwork = no more than an attic.

Not me, previous owner.

This lil certificate is it esential to sell the house? if not, will it increase the value of the house? also who assess it?

Thanks for help so far

Graham

A solicitor would normally ask for a copy when the purchase goes through (unless the works were done before 1985 in which case you don't need to bother) If you've not got a certificate then it can't technically be classed as habitable space i.e. a bedroom etc and consequently your house may become a 3 bedroom house even though you may be using it as a 4th bedroom for example, the estate agent would not be able to class it as a bedroom either hence it may affect the value. Its issued by building control who would carry out the inspections and inform you of what would be required although there are now independent inspectors who could do it (before anyone gets on their soapbox, I know what this forum's like!) although the local authority route would be best in this case. Have a look-see on your local council website under environment, they may even mention retrospective approval on there (or 'regularisation'), in any case give 'em a ringo, they're normally an amicable bunch and would initially visit for free (I expect). You can remain anonymous when you call 'em up but don't worry, they won’t send round the building control police and do a raid! :D

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/england/genpub/en/1115314095172.html

Cheers for the help freddymecurystwin thats has cleared up a lot of question marks in my head. Will probably have plenty more questions after I have spoken to them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back