Tesla Immersion Heater - Not Hot

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new immersin heater in a cylinder

Facts
There is voltage and power going to the immersion heater
The reset button is down so not tripped
The red dial is at 70 degrees - If i turn the thermostat dial I do hear it click when it gets to 40 degrees

Questions
Does this indicate to you that the a) thermostat is working fine b) There is power to the immersion - I dont want to call out an electrican for £100 if I can at all avoid it but the water from hot tap is not hot enough and I suspect its the immersion which is not heating properly
It also looks like the thermostat is not completely sitting in the pocket of the cylinder but I could be wrong here

I tried to take the top off and touched the blue plastic to adjust the red dial and had a mild electric shock so I am really scared now to even put it back together

Can these really not work fro the manufacturer ?

IMG_0545.jpegIMG_0546.jpeg

Sponsored Links
You really should turn the isolator off before removing (or replacing) the blue covers.

£100 for a simple call out sounds a lot (but is probably necessary) - do you live in central London?

It could be that the immersion has actually failed - a simple test on the heating element will be needed to determine this

Reactions: CBW
Its in central london - after a few hours i still dont have very hot water even with boiler on - I think the immersion is knacered

If you are getting heated water ,but it's just not hot enough ,the element must be working . Why don't you use the boiler to heat the water in the cylinder ?

Sponsored Links
How have you checked for voltage?

If you are getting heated water ,but it's just not hot enough ,the element must be working . Why don't you use the boiler to heat the water in the cylinder ?
I thin the water i sbeig heated from the boiler but its not hot enough - So I have to top it off with the immersion heater

How have you checked for voltage?
So I did not test the resistance as I know I should have done but I did use a voltage pen which showed power at the thermostat when temp high enough

Ok ,so the water temperature you have in the cylinder has been heated by the boiler,so the immersion may not be working at all.
Volt pens do not detect the neutral is intact. You need to measure voltage with a multimeter ( which can be purchased for around 10 quid if you haven't got one),
measure live to neutral ,and live to earth.

Reactions: CBW

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back