Tesla magic running low

You only need a relatively small engine, and it can run at its peak efficiency, if it has a battery to cope with peaks and troughs in load, and to hold power accumulated during braking.

Sponsored Links
far inferior EVs.

Depends if you are on cordial terms with a dictator or tyrant, who will keep you in black gold, for a price you are able and willing to pay.

Imagine being self - sufficient in energy and food, with well - run transport, education, and health services.......

Depends if you are on cordial terms with a dictator or tyrant, who will keep you in black gold, for a price you are able and willing to pay.

Imagine being self - sufficient in energy and food, with well - run transport, education, and health services.......
UK has quite a bit of energy that does not come from fossil fuels.

Sponsored Links
chrome_screenshot_5 May 2024 20_51_52 BST.png

Yes, EVs are a bit like the return to the old days when you had to pull over into a coaching inn for a few hours to rest your horses.

The emissions were good for your roses though. :giggle:

Yeah, it's terrible. Been from Cumbria to Blackpool and back today. Spent a grand total of 5 minutes on a fast charger while I went to get a can from the services... :rolleyes:

For years governments and environmentalists have been thrashing car manufacturers to get them to produce the very clean ICE engines we have today. Seems a waste that they now tell them to bin them and go for far inferior EVs. I'm sure with even more development, ICE vhicles can keep getting cleaner.

You still don't really get this "clean" thing, do you?:rolleyes: They can be as "clean" as you like, but still emit CO2...

I'm not really 'into' this high tech. stuff bit thought I would run this :

As far as I can make out Nissan's E-Power uses a petrol engine to charge a battery that runs the electric motor that provides the motive power :unsure:
Is it not possible to delete the battery & have the ICE power the motor, in the same way as they did with diesel-electric on the railway ?
Yes, I am old enough to remember the Deltics when they were in service :rolleyes:

To what end? I guess if you wanted to run your engine all the time the electric motor was running, so that you could use more fuel AND still be horrendously inefficient at low engine loads, whilst simultaneously losing even the small amount of zero-emissions range that it had, then yes, I daresay you could...

Remind me where the precious materials come from for your EV batteries? Remind me where these lovely shiny new slightly less ruinously priced EVs are going to be coming from in ever increasing numbers? :giggle:

Ever wondered where the precious metals in your cat come from...? :rolleyes:

Great. So we're both a greed that we're all reliant on despots, tyrants and assorted countries with unstable and often dictatorial regimes to build and run our vehicles of choice. (y)
Er...no...not really. Many EVs contain no rare earth metals. Those that do, certainly don't need them to run, only to build. Most of the world's lithium comes from Australia, which, last time I looked, was definitely not "third world" and definitely a democracy...

That's a very messy way of presenting the data! I find this site better:

View attachment 342305

View attachment 342306
I really liked the yearly generation chart. I knew that there were seasonal variances for wind but that chart helped picture the difference, and the positive relationship between solar and wind, far more clearly

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Back