Tesla model 3 now available

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got an email from Tesla today saying I can now order a UK model 3. Prices seem pretty good for a fast, long range EV.

very tempted.

Sponsored Links
People have been saying Tesla have been about to go bust on and off since they were first started. They're now bigger than Jaguar or Porsche by numbers built/sold (and closing in on Land Rover) and are the largest electric car manufacturer in the world by a decent margin. They aren't perfect but they're years ahead of the big manufacturers and they're scaling up hard. I doubt they're going away any time soon.

Sponsored Links
Yup, mostly they invest it all in scaling up,b they did have a couple of profitable quarters.

when do you think they made a profit?

By the way, do you have a mortgage, or bank loan, or overdraft, or credit card?

Do you pay interest on it?

If you had borrowed $12billion, the interest payments on your debt would be quite high.

Did you notice that the "profit" quoted in the PR doc excluded interest?

Did you notice that the 2018 loss was $976million?

The company has been able to suck money in from mug punters by issuing shares, faster than it can spend money. It has been consistently burning through this money.

Shares are down 40 per cent this year alone, and currently trade close to their lowest level in two and a half years.

p.s.
a month ago, Tesla said it planned to raise $2.3bn

Attempts have been made to convince investors that it doesn't need this money to keep afloat.

Last edited:
If you had borrowed $12billion, the interest payments on your debt would be quite high.

Did you notice that the "profit" quoted in the PR doc excluded interest?

Did you notice that the 2018 loss was $976million?

The company has been able to suck money in from mug punters by issuing shares, faster than it can spend money. It has been consistently burning through this money.

Shares are down 40 per cent this year alone, and currently trade close to their lowest level in two and a half years.
I don't own their stocks so don't care about the price.

They make the best electric cars right now, outside of China they are the biggest by far, and are aggressively ramping up.

If they were to go bust they'd just be bought out by one of the big car builders who are struggling to match them.

If I were spending Audi money on a car I'd buy a Tesla. But I'm more at the Skoda end, so no Tesla for me.

People have been saying Tesla have been about to go bust

The reason it's kept going is that investors and lenders have been tipping money into the top of the bucket as fast as it runs out of the bottom.

The dropping share price reflects investors increasing scepticism that it is going to be a "business" in the sense that the purpose of business is to make money.

Which is true of nearly every start-up ever in the history of the world. Some of them survived to be the Apple, Facebook, Amazon, SpaceXs of today. Most of them didn't.

I expect that Tesla will be doing pretty much exactly what it is doing now (not making a huge profit [or even a consistent profit], but investing in factories) in three years. Probably still true in five years. I don't know at what point they might decide to slow their growth and start taking the profit as profit and paying it to the shareholders.

You do know they are building another factory that will be able to more or less double their current output? Those don't come cheap.

In the mean time if you are after an electric car Tesla are the market leader. If you are after a fast premium car then they are a strong candidate, if you're looking for an eletric car or not.

Tesla is the only viable option for a "proper" electric car imho.

Theres a few other that are ok cars, they just compare so badly with the Teslas. Who'd buy a long range Nissan instead of a Tesla model 3 around the same price?

Well, I probably would as I'd need the hatch back for hauling things around...

Plenty of companies don't make profit during the early years. Salesforce, Uber, Spotify. What matters is a product that people want to buy at a margin that is sustainable. Then there are companies that are profitable but don't innovate and they eventually die. Sun, IBM, HP, EMC. I have noticed that Tesla have slashed the price of the Model S. P100D is now about £40k cheaper.

The performance Model 3 is on price with a BMW M4, the Model S is now pretty close to M5/RS6 prices. Not 911 price tag it used to have. The standard Model 3 has a 250 mile range and can do 0-60 in 5s with a top speed of 140. Not bad a 40k car. The current stock dip is mainly down to Tesla building a huge factory in china and the US having a massive trade war with China.

Sponsored Links
Back