Tesla disabled auto-pilot on used model S after it was sold

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/6/21127243/tesla-model-s-autopilot-disabled-remotely-used-car-update

Tesla says the owner can’t use features it says ‘they did not pay for’

Tesla has remotely disabled driver assistance features on a used Model S after it was sold to a customer, Jalopnik reports. The company now claims that the owner of the car, who purchased it from a third-party dealer — a dealer who bought it at an auction held by Tesla itself — “did not pay” for the features and therefore is not eligible to use them.

You didn't pay for the Bose system so now we want it back....

Sponsored Links
Can't refuse cookies on that link site so can't read the background.

Which is odd as their terms and conditions say that the Autopilot is tied to the car, not the driver and it doesn't normally get taken away. Apparently it has happened before by accident and has been sorted out.

Depends on what the terms of sale were, surely?
Akin to me buying (my friend's; in a conservation area, so for purely residential use only ) parents' house, then running a business out of it. And then complaining about it, when stopped from doing so.

Sponsored Links
Depends on what the terms of sale were, surely?
Akin to me buying (my friend's; in a conservation area, so for purely residential use only ) parents' house, then running a business out of it. And then complaining about it, when stopped from doing so.
Terms of sale on Autopilot is pretty clear that it does transfer. So in your example it's that you're buying a house which is already allowed to run a business out of it and are being told that you can't anymore, just because.

My bet is something has been cocked up somehow and eventually it'll get sorted out.

This is a case of them stripping the valuable add ons before the car is auctioned off. They know that they get little extra value at auction, so remove them. Effectively they are remanufacturing the car to a lower spec. Since Tesla sold the car at auction and (probably) didn’t advertise the features that were removed. It’s the dealer who has misdescribed the vehicle at private sale.

For private or non Tesla trade sales the features are fully transferred.

Back